Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

FLY2 Euro version- which patch should I apply

I got the European version of FLY!2.It came with a patch named Final patch 1.01.87. I installed that, and now on the first FLY startup options screen I see below the number 2.0.197-a bit confusing for me...I didn't install the two supplied video updates, even though I have a GeFroce 2 MX/200 card, because the game runs fine, so why should I get in trouble with an unknown.Then I read the general post at the top of the forum directed at newbies. It recommends installing patch 4, then the 250 patch. Do I really have to if the sim runs OK as is?Or is the 250 patch connected to all the scenery addons that require it first?EytanTJSJ

Eytan,I guess I'm a little confused. The patch you list isn't for Fly! II at all - it's for the original Fly!. That patch brought the original Fly! up to the level of Fly!2K, which came out later with a number of fixes and improvements. That was followed by another patch, which brought the original sim up to the SDK 1.01.88 level.I'm guessing that someone had the original Fly!, had patched it and kept the file or disk with the new Fly! II? Regardless, applying that patch would do nothing for Fly! II.Yes - you need to patch up to the v240 level and follow the patch sequence listed in the FAQ for patching that version. By the time the European version was released, it had been updated past the patch 3 level, but there are many, many bug fixes and improvements in those two patches - download them and apply them. Also, some of the new capabilities - TerraScene slicing for instance, are only available if you upgrade. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, especially those concerning deletion of HST files and resetting the Aircraft Options for all aircraft.

Randall Rocke

Randall,>I'm guessing that someone had the original Fly!, had patched>it and kept the file or disk with the new Fly! II? Regardless,>applying that patch would do nothing for Fly! II. The so called final patch was on the third cd of FLY2 It's a cd that has specific scenery for Israel (where I got it), plus video updates, and some extra aircraft. You might be right on that- go figure!>Yes - you need to patch up to the v240 level and follow the>patch sequence listed in the FAQ for patching that version. By>the time the European version was released, it had been>updated past the patch 3 level,So, if my present version is 2.0.197, is this level 3? Thus should I apply patch 4?Eytan

Randall,I just did the patch 4 upgrade- everything went fine.One question though. You said to delete all HST files. I did a search for these, and nothing came up for FLY2. The only ones found were five files relating to some a/c in FLY!2K. I wonder if my originalFLY2 level 3 euro version already took care of the HST issue.Eytan

Eytan,When Fly! II is started for the first time, it creates a history file (HST) for each aircraft. You should find all of the aircraft files along with their accompanying HSTs in the aircraft folder. When you patch Fly! II, these HST files are corrupted. Deleting them forces Fly! II to create new, uncorrupted, clean HST files on the next startup.(It could be that the HST is created when an aircraft is used for the first time, but they eventually will appear).Now, if you still haven't patched all the way to the v240 level, do that next (some people call this the 250 patch). When finished, check once more for any HST files, delete them if they exist, then start Fly! II. Set the Aircraft Options as previously noted and you will be in business.

Randall Rocke