Sign in to follow this  
Guest dajackman

Crash to desktop with new video card

Guest dajackman

I purchased a new video card and am having crashes to the desktop. I purchased an ATI 9600 Pro. I have installed the drivers and also installed the latest from ATI. My old card was a Nvidia, so I changed the vertexIndexFormat to 1. That didn't work so I deleted the old render.ini and let Fly create a new one. Still no luck. Does anyone have a suggestions. I'm sure the card is working properly, It seems to work in other 3D apps. Here is my current render.ini:(The card was 128Mb)[Textures]maxTextures32=0maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=64maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=20maxTextures256_565=32maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=1mipMapFlag=896[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0[Graphics]premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0mipLevelCount=20vertexIndexFormat=1Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

My guess is it's the TRI video drivers - the updated drivers are installed automatically as part of the v230 and v240 patches and I believe they are compatible only with nVidia chips. When you updated to v240, did you back-up or save the original video files?They are:--tridx7.dll--tridx8.dll--tridx8tl.dllI believe you will need the original versions of these files to be compatible with a non-GeForce card. If you did not save them, maybe someone did and can send you their copies? Or...you can remove Fly! II and reinstall. Then, back up the drivers and patch all the way to v240, folowed by copying the original drivers back in. That should do it.Also, you should probably set your vertexIndexFormat= back to "0" once your drivers are set. The "1" setting was for a card and driver set that no longer exists.

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

Once I get these files do I have to change anything to let fly know to use these verses the old drivers? Does anyone have these they could send to me:robby@flydevelopers.comThanks

Guest dajackman

First I wanna say thanks to all who are helping me with this. I replaced the files:tridx7.dll 116KB 3/19/2001 11:32tridx8.dll 168KB 6/18/2001 11:19tridx8tl.dll 188KB 6/18/2001 11:19with these files:tridx7.dll 116KB 5/2/2001 11:43tridx8.dll 136KB 4/19/2001 9:27tridx8tl.dll 148KB 4/19/2001 9:27and I am still having the same problem. This is the first time I have tried a NON-NVIDIA card. I have tried both vertexIndexFormat=1 & 0 and I get the same results. I get the select video options dialog box and then I see the helicopter and only about one amber square in the middle of this screen before I get dumped to the desktop. The progress "instument" never makes it off 0%, not sure if this means anything. But would love to get back up. Thanks again for all the help!!

I'm sorry to hear that your problems continue! ;( Question - After you installed your new card and its drivers, did you reinstall DirectX? I have heard on occasion that a new video card/driver installed after a DirectX update can cause problems - wish I had more ideas!

Randall Rocke

I don't know if you are using winxp with dx9. I assume so. I also assume you did some routine things, such as check the video card in device manager and run dxdiag from the command line.Maybe I need not mention this, but I am unsure of the answer. I have the tri .dll's dated 4/19 and 5/2 in the system directory, and I think these are the ones in use by Fly2, because I remember not wanting to change them during the updates long ago. I have the 3/19 and 6/18 .dlls in the Fly2 main directory, which I don't believe are being used. Maybe you replaced the wrong .dlls? Someone will need to refresh my memory as to whether the ones in the system directory are the ones Fly2 is actually using.Here are some ideas. At least, I would try them if it were me. You might update the drivers if you are using the ones that came with the card. Maybe the old ones are incompatible with dx9. I don't know anything about this, just a guess.If you already upgraded the video drivers, you might rollback or reinstall the old ones, then reinstall the new ones. This seemed to have worked for me with my ati 9700 pro, but I had reason to believe I botched the update after installing dx9. My problem was an occasional blue-screen followed by an automatic reboot during some long flights. I had no video problems whatsoever until I started messing with dx9 and the driver upgrade.You could download and install the Omega drivers for the ati card. Go to http://www.omegacorner.com for links to these. I haven't tried them, so I can't vouch for them. You should know that these drivers are not supported by ati. I noticed that there were quite a variety of versions of the factory ati drivers also available via this website and its links.

Guest dajackman

Thanks for the info. I am running Win2k. Looks like I may be placing them in the wrong folder. I will try the system folder tonight. I don't think this is video card related. I have confirmed in other games that she is working great. Thanks again to everyone helping me out!!

Guest chezz

I'm using ATI 9800Pro no problem here. Please check you FLY2 setup again.chris-rpll

Guest dajackman

My Problem Update:I have re-installed DX9 (b I think), and ran the diag tool. All tests worked without any problems. I have tried the various video dlls in the /fly2 and /fly2/system folders with no help. I was really hoping to get this working. I guess I could return the card for an NIVIDA that I know works but really wanted to give ATI another shot.Re-installing fly would be a real pain. I have loads of add-on and several gigs of scenery I generated. I have the entire state of VA and Wash DC and most of NC and TN done. Anyway, anyone have any other ideas? Thanks again!!

Guest dajackman

One last post on this issue. Does anyone have any last ideas before I take this card back? I have tried everything I can think of short of re-installing fly2, something I really didn't want to do. Anyway, thanks again to all who helped.

A couple more suggestions:1. Turn off Fastwrites2. Set AGP speed to 4XYou may need to do this in the bios settings, then double check under the ati smartgart tab. I doubt the lower settings will affect the preceived speed. I don't know if the 9600 supports 8x agp.

Just remember that scenery, aircraft, etc. is no big deal (if you reinstall). Just pull all of the scenery pods and other scenery files (move everything in the aircraft, modules, models, scenery, art, data, world, and taxiways folders to a temp directory). If you have specialized skies, clouds, DLLs, etc., then saving the art and modules folders will allow you to instantly recover these. Finally, copy the system pod files, the render.ini and fly.ini so you can recover any database updates and the settings you've worked so hard to establish.Then, uninstall Fly! II and wipe its directory. Reinstall Fly! II and patch it up - then simply move all the scenery and aircraft and other data back into place. If you have some specialized add-ons you may have to reinstall them, but basic scenery and stuff is pretty easy. (Be sure to also set aside the tri*.dll files during the initial Fly! II install, so these files may be saved for use after patching).I would consider any reinstall as a last resort. It's just that if you needed to do it, it's not that big of a deal.

Randall Rocke

Guest Dean

>One last post on this issue. Does anyone have any last ideas>before I take this card back? I have tried everything I can>think of short of re-installing fly2, something I really>didn't want to do. Anyway, thanks again to all who helped.Have you tried selecting the non-T&L choice for DirectX on the render setup screen?

Guest dajackman

Here another update.I have installed Fly2 into a different folder. Then started moving files from the new install into the folder of my old install. I can now get fly to start but I have another problem. The scenery flashes white. I can see all the custom scenery I have made but there is a stobe light type effect going on. Anyone ever seen that.I once again want to say thanks all everyone for the help!!!

Guest dajackman

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!Yippie I got it working!! About time, man I was getting ready to give up. Thanks again to all. Not reall sure what the problem was. I installed fly into another folder and started copying files over until it started working. The strobe light effect was render.ini related. I found on old one and that one is working great. Thanks again to all....I off to pre-flight!!