Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Virtual Airline for Fly?

Guest Eagle

Anyone interested in starting a virtual airline for the Fly simulator? I will devote the time required if the Fly community shows interest.I don

Guest tonyc

Hi, Wayne. I have, on and off, been part of a virtual airline. In fact, when ATP was the only arline sim, Sunair was a great virtual airline. We would fly real airline routes and the program would check for correct fuel and time planning. These days, with real ATC, virtual airline is fun, provided that there are enough flyers flying at the same time. AmericaWest supports FLY2 and I flew for them for a while. You can check them out. Otherwise, I still think that some of us ought to pick a time of the week or weekend when an Atc center is active a try to see how it feels to have some fly ins with FLY2 aircrafts. I always felt good about declaring that I was a FLY2 pilot when filing a flight plan. I've always wished for a dll that captured some infomation for the purpose of setting goals. That is, you can reach certain status according to not only the number of flying hours, but how accuratetly one was able to fly the flight and the aiplane. Let me know what you have in mind.tony

Hi Wayne, A ways back I used to help run a VA using ATP (Tony, SunAir wasn't the only one :-) ) via BBS. Depending on what job I land in the near future would determine my involvement, but I would be interested. Still have all my stuff from the VA / BBS, so finding data and putting routes together wouldn't be too difficult. But having someone make a DLL to log the data with the varying factors would be a necessity. I may be able to reload ATP and do a couple of flights to get some of the data that was used to calculate from. We could then see how much interest is generated, and go from there - expanding as necessary. As a side-note, if I'm not mistaken - I believe Westwind Airlines still offers FLY!er's spots on their VA roster.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Bjorn

I would be interested...These days I almost never fly Fly! anymore, and that is sad.I spending almost all my flying time in the ScandinavianVA, but that is only FS2002/2004. Not complaining though,it's real fun - but I miss Fly! also, and will try to joinif this becomes real.Best regards Bj

Westwind still offers Fly!ers a chance to fly, but right now the only aircraft for Fly!II is PMDG's 777 (for their Cat. 5 pilots). For those using Fly!2K, you have the King Air, Wilco's B-737 and PMDG's 767 to use.Thought everyone would like to know!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest Eagle

Thanks Ken and Bjorn for your words of encourgement. I would like to see us give this a go and see what happens. I have no idea of what it takes to create a virtual airline, but I am willing to devote the time necessary. There may be a virtual airline out there somewhere that wants to sell its site. I will post in the VA forum and see what happens.I was thinking of a GA airline more than one with overseas or long distance flights.

More along the lines of a Flying Club scheme then, eh? Now that would be something new and interesting to try one's hand at! Meet online via a VATSIM type exchange and go flying to different places, only asking people to have certain scenery packages kind of thing? Probably then all we'd need is Tony Crider's Advanced logbook program (although some may not be able to run the XML parser) - but worth a try to see. Fly!er's would just need to upload or email their logbooks to the Hub manager for verification - extending notes to include the online ATC used, et. al. Should be quite do-able. More than willing to help lay things out, along with anyone else interested! 1. Decide which aircraft we would want to use for GA flying (hopefully more than one!) - Cessna, ROTW's PA-28, etc.2. Would need someone as an aircraft painter - and have several submissions for a Logo/ paint scheme.3. Define Hubs, find persons willing to act as Hub Managers, etc.4. Request help from 3D modelers to build us a Hangar / fuel pit and a sign - able to use with the built-in editor or Terra-Models.As one can see, there would be a bit involved in this undertaking. But certainly something we could do.Any other ideas?!Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Hi Steve, Out of curiosity, have you modeled a fair selection of GA fields for the UK? I am not overly familiar with the small UK airfields (although ATP had stuff for UK - still have those maps somewhere!) - just military fields from my stint in Iceland. A proposal to Wayne via email was to start this out small - two or three regions in USA and in Europe - U.K.,France, Switzerland or Norway (or all four) as we know of scenery and some terrascened areas already done. For UK/ Europe in general, would you have any suggestions for GA fields that from what you have in way of airport diagrams, would be able to handle an added hangar and fuel pit? If so, please do chime in! And, anyone else interested in helping to define regions/ GA airports are welcome to send in suggestions!!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest Steve Brown

I want to do the Airports in Iceland too, but I dont know were to get the Airport charts if anyone can help me. I loved that place, what nice people too. :-)Yes I have done a few of the GA Airports & there are a few more on the way, yes Ken I want Hangars, and other nice little Airport buildings and goodies like that!http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/fly2...res/richard.jpgSteve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.jpg][/divWebsite not running yet.My United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Eagle

I have made contact with several FLYers and I believe the virtual airline will become a reality.All help is appreciated and you can contact me by email or on this forum. The idea is to keep it a small GA and expand when required.Steve, that is one GREAT picture and I will be in touch with you.

Guest Steve Brown

OK Wayne :-) Its not good for the Aircraft maybe, but an idea for those who want to use it as there "sig" supporting the Harvey VA.What ideas do you have for the paint-scheme for the Aircraft, the Bell 407 I can do but it needs to be simple as its a horror to do.Oh I know how to edit and repaint the Airport "Enjoy Fly" Bill Board in the Biberall pod and can add the chosen Harvey VA sign to it.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/fly2...res/richard.jpgSteve.My United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Guest Eagle

Steve, I sent an email to Pete Sterling (Mac_Paint) asking if he would paint the aircraft. When you have time look at the PMDG 757-200 that he did. That is a nice design.The VA site will be named Harvey Air and you can use that on any buildings that you do. Also a nice graphic for the site would be helpful.Looking for a foreign country base or bases - one with airport scenery. Any suggestions?

Guest Steve Brown

Here is an idea Im working on for a logo.1http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/fly2...ictures/ha1.jpgWhat do you think?Sorry for my Ignorance, which of Petes repaints did you mean as my search came up with 20 options :-lol http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/fly2...res/richard.jpgSteve.My United Kingdom Scenery.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View