Sign in to follow this  
Guest nycflyer

Uh Oh... I think I'm getting hooked

About two weeks ago, I was proud to have flown my first (real) GA flight out of Jefferson County Airport in Port Townsend, WA. (See related post at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=19420&page=) This weekend, I spent three days at my folk's summer home in Pittsfield, MA. Saturday morning was beautiful, and without lots of plans, I decided to head over to Lyon Aviation at PSF. A CFI, Joe, was available and happy to take me up for my second hour of flying ever in a Cessna 152. I spent just under an hour, according to the Hobbes (did I spell that right?). We did some slow flight, a few stalls, several 30-degree and two 45-degree turns (some definate G's in the 45-degree turn). We did two touch-and-go's and a final landing. Joe gave me the plane for all three. On the second landing, I'm just short of the runway and feel a gust of cross-wind and then the pedals moving in the opposite way I expect. I glance over to Joe who has his hands on the yoke, and so I figure, "he's the CFI, he know's what he's doing." So I cease fighting Joe and let him correct the slide to the right we just experienced. With a little yoke, we get the plane placed off center, but still within a fair margin of runway. We gun it and head up again.After reducing flaps and gaining some altitude, I apologize to Joe for "fighting" with him on the pedels, and that my instinct was to go the opposite way he did. Joe looked at me and shook his head, "I had my feet on the ground! You were fighting the aircraft!"Moral of the story - when you're flying with your instructor, work out a clear system in advance that would remove all doubt as to who is really flying the plane. In any case, I'm up to exactly 2 hours now. 1.1 in Port Townsend and another .9 on Saturday. I don't plan, at least as of yet, to make this a regular thing. With two young kids (ages 2 and 5), it just doesn't seem fair to run off Saturday mornings for three hours to fly. But I'm definately hooked. I bought a Log Book, signed up for AOPA's Flight Training magazine (I've been an AOPA member since last January), and will probably try another lesson over Pittsfield to enjoy the Fall foliage in October.But a few years down the road, this is happening. For now, I'm hoping for Fly!3.Pix attached....-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Eagle

David I do believe that you have the bug. The more you fly the more you want to continue. Just tell the kids that one day you will take them for a flight.Was the door open when you took a picture of your folks house?

Thanks for the shots, David! I started that journey over 30 years ago - went all the way to my check ride, then had to stop because of career, marriage, and circumstance.No matter how hard it gets, don't give up on it - keep up the dream, even if it goes on the back burner from time to time. Even after all these years, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I also owe my love of Fly! to those memories.

Randall Rocke

Guest richpress

Yes I too can look back over the last 30years to a similar situation. Wait until you are on the downwind leg looking down at the airport but without anyone along side you. Best of luck for your first solo and obtaining your wings. Remember you only do one 1st solo.

Guest tonyc

I ,too, remember the first time I took lessons. Eventually I got my licence and purchased an old airplane, a 1946 aircoupe, and flew to lots of places. I will go back someday....tony

Door was closed. Took the shot through the window and then did some corrections with Photoshop to reduce the "haze" that appeared. -DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Bart

They're at the perfect age for being introduced to flying. As far as leaving them on Saturday mornings train in a 172 and take them along when you're during your dual work...mine had a blast, best roller coaster ride they'd ever been on!! Mine are 4 and 6 and one of the biggest thrills they get now is me looking at them and telling them "they have the airplane"

[br]Just make sure you're at Va before you give them the plane and keep your feet on the pedals...my 4 year old daughter is a natural at doing lazy 8's!!c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://home.fuse.net/bartsflyplace/quote2.jpg

>Moral of the story - when you're flying with your instructor,>work out a clear system in advance that would remove all doubt>as to who is really flying the plane. DK,In flying it is always done with clear statement from one pilot to another "it is yours now !!". In the abscense of a statement like that the person who was last flying is still flying.Michael J.

Guest Bart

my experience was unless the instructor was frantically grabbing at the controls with one hand, wiping the sweat from his brow with the other and babbling something about being to young to die...it was my airplane...he he :)c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Guest nycflyer

Do you still want to go out around NYC?I'll probably be heading up on Sunday ....ScottAttached pic of my house, if you could ever pick it out!

Hey Scott:I'm glad you wrote. I had you in my "to do" list, but haven't gotten the email out yet. Yes.... I would like to share a ride with you. But next few weekends are tough. Seeing the Yanks Saturday and hosting a 40-person softball game and BBQ on Sunday. Do you have any plans for a reasonably early-AM flight on a Saturday coming up? Saturday is a much better time for me than Sunday.No rush though. Since I first asked you, I got up the nerve to get in the cockpit myself.Looking forward to a trip with you, though, over the next several Fall weekends.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest tonyc

Hei, Scott. Where do fly out of? I used to fly out of Caldwell and, heading west, I remember a great grass strip where I would land and go swimming. It was a private strip, but boy, the landing and the privacy made it worth it. I did not know the owner, but was told by another friend that it was ok to land.tony

Guest nycflyer

Tony,I generally fly out of Teterboro, but occasionally Linden also. I'm not familiar with the grass strip you're speaking of, but the rental policy procludes me from landing at a grass strip. There is Lumberton, Flying W, near Phili, that has a pool shaped like an airplane though.Scott

Guest nycflyer

Just drop me a note when you know what days might be good for you, and I'll let you know what's good for me!-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB