Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Need someone to convert a raw file for me.....

Guest Chris Wallace

Be sure to send some non-square RAW images, and ensure that neither the width nor height are an even power of 2. As I stated somewhere else in this thread, the only applications I know of that use RAW/ACT are scenery detail tiles (always square), certain internal textures like the sun and moon (always square) and gauge light masks (possibly non-square, although the few I checked last night were always square). The importer may make the assumption that the image is square, and/or that the w/h are an even power of 2...since RAW images typically get put directly into texture memory, this is a pretty good assumption (light masks which might be written into a stencil buffer being the exception).I will be suitably shocked and amazed if anybody can find the header in a RAW file :-) Maybe it's hiding between the 1's and 0's of the image data :-)Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Colins2

Chris,I have only found square ones so far.The scenery tiles are exactly 65536 bytes and the size IS 256 x 256, therefore there can't be any header info anywhere.Similarly, the ACT files, as you said, are 768 bytes = 256 x 3.I will carry on looking for some non-square examples.Maybe if there are some non-square ones for some places on an a/c the size could be coded into one of the configuration files?Colin

Guest DSandberg

Yep, you are quite correct about the size essentially ruling it out. The only way would be if TRI used some sort of compression or encoding of color data, and that would mean that the generic RAW importer would probably only get garbage (which evidently doesn't happen). Perhaps the RAWACT plugin can only deal with square ones, since you evidently haven't found any other type to try on it? If so, that would allow the importer to derive image dimensions simply by querying for the total file length, removing the need for a header. Either the importer would have to query the user for dimensions on a non-square one (the problem there being that some non-square files could exactly match the size of other square ones) ... or more likely it simply can't deal with non-square ones at all.You didn't get hold of Tony's to try by any chance? Tony, can you zip those files up and send them my way, so I could try them with the TRI importer in PSP (and in general)?[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center][/td][/tr][/table]

Guest tonyc

Sure, David. Roberto has sent me some more information, including some GIF files. He's been reading our forum and, clearly, is offering to help if there are questions regarding his files. tony

Guest DSandberg

A footnote to this discussion ... I've just announced (in the Fly! Developer forum) a forthcoming conversion utility which will hopefully relieve some of the pain of working with RAW/ACT files that was described in this thread. Here's a link to the announcement:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=2853&page=Come to think of it, I should probably add something to the utility's readme file that says "inspired by tonyc". :)[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][/tr][/table]