Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Need someone to convert a raw file for me.....

Guest tonyc

I simply cannot get this raw file converted into a bmp. I don't have adobe Photo shop and this may be the problem. Can someone help me? just send me an e-mailtony

Guest Doc Parano

You can use "Fly! Graphics" (author:Elrond Elvish) In the File Library!

Guest tonyc

Doc,I have converted raw files before. This one in particular isn't recognized by FLY Graphiic and the raw2bmp creates a scrambled image. I have tried many resolutions combinations, and have had no luck. tony

Guest tonyc

Bart,I guess I should have mentioned thatI have all of the tools suggested. I have not been able to match the right resolution, so the image comes out scrambled. It's a file for FLY2 and it's supposed to be at 1334 x917 res. I've tried switching the res( 917 x 1334 ), but no luck. After 30 times or so of trying to match the resolution, I wondered if there's an easier way to do it. For some reason, FLY graphics does not recognized it as a FLY format. Also, do you which numbers in the cam file affect the main panel srolling down? I want to control the point where the panel stops srolling down.tony

Guest Jan

Tony,The scrolling of the panel is in the PNL file itselfe.Look at the numbers on the top.It should state image size and window size.Try resizing it to fit your new image.Jan

Guest tonyc

Ah! let's take a look. thanks, Jan.tony

Guest DSandberg

Maybe something simple is the cause here? Is this a file you downloaded? If so, perhaps it's simply been corrupted? Can you get a "fresh" copy, just in case it was corrupted during the download?[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]KFCM 061653Z 20006KT 10SM CLR 27/16 A3001 RMK AO2 SLP157 T02670161[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest tonyc

No, David. As I understand it,Raw files need a perfect resolution match and a few other settings when you try to open them , and if one is not familiar with how to do well, it drives you crazy. I am trying to speed up the learning curve in those areas that I know other FLY users are very knowledgeable( Ie, you for weather ;-)).tony

Guest DSandberg

What does "No, David" mean? Did you already verify that the file is not corrupt in some way, or do you just consider it to be a stupid suggestion? If you created this RAW file yourself, have already used it successfully in some manner, or at a minimum got it from a source impervious to errors (i.e., other than download), then fine. But if none of these are the case, then I don't see why you would pass off the idea of a corrupted file as not worth checking. Never neglect to check the simplest things ... for example, I recently spent quite some time agonizing over the apparent breakdown of some expensive equipment, only to eventually find out that it was merely a $30 cable gone iffy.I don't know anything specific about Fly!'s RAW files, except that I seem to recall reading that they are not the same type of thing as the RAW files that you can open up in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. by knowing the details of the file structure. But if they *are* the same, then I'm well aware of how standard RAW files work. and there are quite a few things beyond just the image resolution that can throw off attempts to load them. The number of color channels, the presence or absence of header information, padding at the end of raster lines, and other things can all screw up RAW file loading. One good way to approach the problem is to start with the exact file size and figure out how much file space the expected resolution * the number of color channels would require. Comparing the two values will often give a pretty good indication of what the problem is (for one thing, if the actual file is exactly 1024 or 2048 bytes too long, I immediately suspect a file header of that length to be present).I hope you find this information somewhat more helpful than you apparently considered my last contribution to be.- David

Guest Chris Wallace

I'm sure it was just that Tony was a lot more certain that his problem was related to not being able to figure out the resolution, rather than the file being corrupted. What, do you think you know something about graphics editing programs or something?!? :-lolTony, you can sort-of load a RAW image into PaintShopPro (the only graphics program besides GIMP that I use, honest David...) by specifying the image size, single-channel (grayscale) format and zero header size. If you have the size correct, the image is at least recognizable, although it's not an accurate grayscale version of the original image. The "gray" values are actually indices into the palette colours in the ACT file. But to (finally) answer your question, no, I don't think there's an "easy" way to figure out the correct dimensions of an odd-shaped RAW file except trial and error.If you are sure what the dimensions should be, and it still doesn't load right, then maybe the file is corrupted :-)Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest DSandberg

It's amazing what a few hours of distance can do for a person's state of mind ... :)Yeah, in retrospect you are probably right, in that Tony could be working on some texture he pulled right out of Fly2 rather than something obtained from the Internet. I just wasn't thinking about that at the time.I probably would have realized it sooner if I hadn't unfortunately allowed myself to get a bit cheesed off about the remainder of Tony's post (i.e., the part with the beginner's level description of the RAW format). I thought a lot of people here knew that I'd made my living developing commercial graphics software for many years (since 1995, to be exact), but perhaps Tony didn't know or remember that. (Compared to graphics, weather is pretty much just a sideline interest for me!) :)By the way, thank you for identifying the difference that I was trying to remember before ... Fly2's "RAW" format is palette-based and uses a 2nd file, while ordinary RAW files (like the ones PSP can read properly, as you mention) just contain raw color values.It's quite conceivable that a person could write a straightforward ACT-to-PAL converter to load the palette into PSP and have the image actually appear correctly in that application. Has anyone done this, to your knowledge? I'd have to investigate the ACT palette format further before I could say that for certain, but it seems likely to be fairly trivial.- David Red-Faced Sandberg

Guest Colins2

David,I'm far from being very knowledgeable about graphics formats but TRI made a photoshop plug-in for Fly!1 called RAW-ACT.I use this a lot for viewing the small ground tile segments that the slicer creates.Colin