Sign in to follow this  

Landing Help!

As you guys know, I am not the best person in landings. Anyway, lately I have been diving my heavies too low. Can you guys give me data on which altitude is best at 10 and 5 miles from the airport. Also can you guys give me the best descent rate on finals? Thanks :)http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/uploaded/9vsve/sig1.jpg

Use the ILS at a runway, and note your altitude at 5 and 10 miles. Find out what your approach speed for your particular aircraft is and stick to it, or use autothrottle. At 50-75 foot radar altitude, throttles to idle and pitch up to @5-10 degrees nose up and hold attitude and wait for touchdown. This is a little rough, but if you do this and then play with it to smooth it out, you'll get it.-Carl

This is just some information that might help you set up your aircraft on the approach. If you already know this, I appologize. As follows:Boeing 747-400 approach speeds:188 KIAS (850,000 lbs. , flaps 25, gear down)181 KIAS (850,000 lbs. , flaps 30 gear down)134 KIAS (450,000 lbs. , flaps 25 gear down)129 KIAS (450,000 lbs. , flaps 30 gear down)At 5 miles out on the LOC, I am usually already on the glideslope, and some times even at 10nm. out. I would venture to say that I would be between 7 and 9 thousand @10nm, but thats just a guess since I really dont fly the heavies much. Hope this helps, and I'm sure that someone that knows a little more will chime in. Take care, and happy landings.Matt

hi leewell freind i had ritten about jets and flap extn on microwings ,the article is listed as first officers seat - use of flaps ,will help u..the thumb rule is 300 ft of alt for every nautical mile from the rwy so--1 mile 300 ft ,5 miles 1500 ft ,10 miles 3000 feet ..and this is true whether u fly a 747 or a cessna 152,thisis what gives u a 3 degree glidepath as it is in 99% ilse'sestablish a descent rate of ground speed * 5 ,so 140 knots wud be 700 feet / minute,for the heavies just use 145 or 150- knots all the weay down ,u wud be more comfortable..also no cutting thrust at 100 feet and pulling to pitch up 5 to 10 dgress,u will stall and fall hard , and worse have a hell of a tail strike..this is not the way in the real world,this is what u do .. just observe the plane -- fly it in at 700 rod ,and about 10 feet from the rwy ,just bring it back to idle ,the ground effect will aid the plane ,and if for example u were 1 deg nose down ,just go to 0 deg nose up .,and the [plane will settle downlet me know if u wanna know more bi bi kunal