Sign in to follow this  
Leen3131cs

707 Repaint Question

Guest ilove777

Hello to all!!I'm attempting to repaint a 707 into an undisclosed livery -but one I'm sure most of you would be able to appreciate. All I did was to take the original TIFF file, change the textures, and attempted to repod the aircraft. It repodded just fine, however, after starting up Fly! II and attempting to switch to this new aircraft I keep getting a message saying that the Number One Engine is undefined.Would anyone perhaps know what I may do to overcome this???Any help would be appreciated.John BauderFly! II PCNew York, NYKLGA/KJFKjohnlbauder@aol.com

Guest Fly II Pilot

John,Do you get a CTD or just an error?Are you sure you're not missing any files in the POD? Do you happen to have any files in your /data or /world that could be conflicting and overriding the ones in the pod?Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest ilove777

In effect, all I did was to unpod the AA707, repaint the TIFF file naming it exactly what it was before.I did notice, however, that the CRC (whatever that is) failed the checks before podding. Otherwise, I changed NOT A THING.All that was taken was put back. I'd hate to have to take the original TWA, a 13mb pod, and have to use that. Logically, if it's been done before, it could be done again.John BauderFly! II PCNew York, NYKLGA/KJFKjohnlbauder@aol.com

, that the CRC (whatever that is) failed the checks before poddingyou wrote.What kindof checks you are talking about.Wich programm do you use for unpodding and repodding.LeenUn- and repodding a pod file sometimes give troubles.Try deleting the HST files.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

G'day John,> I'd hate to have to take the>original TWA, a 13mb pod, and have to use that. Logically, if>it's been done before, it could be done again.John you don't need ALL of the files from the original TWA pod in order to do a repaint and pod it. You only need the 3 tif files, 3 acm files and 6 files from the world folder. That's only about 12 files. Once podded your repaint WILL NEED all the other files in order to work and that is why the original TWA aircraft must be in the aircraft folder as well.Try to follow the repaint tutorial. Trust me it is NOT that hard. Work through it step by step.Use podview to extract the required files from the TWA pod and use the built in editor to creat the response file ( which you will have to modify) and pod up the repaint.CheersRoger @YSSY

Hi Roger and JohnSorry you are a littlebit wrong here.For a outside-only repaintP51BC.tif art P51BC_MED.tif artP51BC_low.tif art P51-ICON.act art P51-ICON.pbm art ----------------------------------------- P51_BC.lod world P51_BC.nfo world P51_BC.svh world P51_BC.sit world ------------------------------------------ P51BC.acm models P51BCMD.acm models P51BCLW.acm modelsThis ia an example.In my repaints I never use med and low res tif.This gives a far better appearance of the plane seen on distanceAND very good AI models.( no problems with framerate )P51BC.tif art P51-ICON.act art P51-ICON.pbm art ----------------------------------------- P51_BC.lod world P51_BC.nfo world P51_BC.svh world P51_BC.sit world ------------------------------------------ P51BC.acm models Yes just with one acm file.In the lod file all entries leading to this single acm.Works great.So for an outside only repaint we need a minimum of eight files.In a repaint with interior vieus also we need the DATA folder withthe pnl files as well.And many act.pbm and pbg files as wellMany times I use more than one TIF file, needed by the MTHP.CheersLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest ilove777

Finally got it to work -- don't know exactly how I did it, but I did it.I made a "template" paintkit for the 707 -- bare metal texture with windows on separate layers within Photoshop.If anyone who reads this would be interested in the Photoshop file, plesae email me privately. If there's enough responses, I'll upload it to the AVSIM server.Cheers!John BauderFly! II PCNew York, NYKLGA/KJFKjohnlbauder@aol.com

>Hi Roger and John>>Sorry you are a littlebit wrong here.Yeah sorry about that Leen I was just talking off the top of my head and forgot the icon files. :-)I don't remember the exact technical reason for the other 2 world files: I think it was to do with damage modeling but not sure. I just do them because the tutorial I followed said to.>In my repaints I never use med and low res tif.>This gives a far better appearance of the plane seen on>distance>AND very good AI models.( no problems with framerate.>Many times I use more than one TIF file, needed by the MTHP.I have to disagree with you here Leen. Rich posted a post castigating aircraft designers and repainters as the cause of many of the frame rate problems people were suffering. If use is not made of the med and low res tiff then a 1024 texture is required to display the aircraft. Get a few of AI aircraft (requiring 1024 textures)in you field of vision and bingo frame rates stop dead. :-) It's fine if you have a 256 MB video card with half a dozen 1024 slot allocated but for most people with a 32 or 64 MB video card have only 1 1024 slot allocated. I realise that it saves time but the moral of the story is use the lower res stuff. It's there to assist frame rate.orFly in lonely skies :-) Cheers Leen,Roger @YSSY

Hallo Roger,Yes Roger this is a point of discussion.I know Rich posting about this issue.On the other hand , I have been doing many tests with severalsorts of planes with or without med and low res tif.There is a difference of course , but it`s quiet small.Flying with 10 or more planes nearby framerate is going down indeed.I made many repaints, well downloaded by the community , and I never heard anyone complaining.The big advantage is a very good plane beside you when you fly in formation with an AI plane.Computers and videocards are improving every day.Nowadays most people own a PC capable of things we could not dream about the days FLY was made.I do not have such a monster PC ( only 1Ghrz,64Mb video and 512 ram)BTW it`s not the size of the image , but the type of acm we are usingthat is of influence on the framerate.When I use MTHP ( MULTY TIF HOCOS POCUS) I use two,three or fourtif files.ALL used by one and the same ACM.It`s strange but the hres/acm can be used on tif files being only64x63.But yes framerates and FLY (MSFS2004 as well) we always have to make the choice.Quality OR FPS.You are right, but the truth is always in the middle.RegardsLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Roger,Just forgot to say.I did not skip the med and low tif`s to save time.When the 1024 tif is ready it takes only a little time to do the smaller ones.Just resize the 1024 tif and cut and paste a little.As you probably know , I do only complicated repaints including all the inside- and panelviews. ( and moving parts seen from inside, like the flaps on the P51 , took 2 times 62 frames , each of them painted)This stuff takes most of my time.I did skip the med and low tif`s to get a better quality.RegardsLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints