Sign in to follow this  

Fly High Seneca Sky (pics)

Lovely weather, Peter :-). Love them clouds! Thanks for sharing them.Cheers

NajiI really, really hope microsoft look at the sky scenery and make the next round FS2004 SkyWorld.Not only with a Sky invironment that looks like that but also with dynamic weather systems which create the same challenges in the sim as I get real world.Peter

Peter,I wonder if the "challenges ... as I get real world" might be the hook that Microsoft is looking for. Perhaps the challenge of dealing with real world weather changes--and mastering them--will attract newcomers. Realistic and dynamic weather is one aspect of the flightsim experience that has been beyond most computers until now. But in the contemporary era, all this is now possible. Microsoft might well use this as a way to get jaded "gamers" to find something intriguing in the FS experience.Excellent thinking ... which might produce good marketing.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

MikeIt might produce good marketing from another angle too!Its not that long since the awful events of sept 11 th and all the bad press MSFS had as being a terrorist tool used for training people to fly 767 s etc.Modelling the forces of nature and the beauty of the earth and Sky gives the sim an invironmental and educational feel about our world which could be good for MS.(as well as making all our sim flying more realistic)Peter

Hi PeterVery nice pics, Wish that deep blue sky and clouds could be implemented in fs2002 via some addon( Hint to fsclouds).I never grow tired of these types of shots.The deep sky colour only highlight those clouds more,Huge contrast range, looks so fresh and clean, almost like fresh snow, you feel you could land on them.OK when is fsclouds 2002 coming out?.Thanks again for posting.Cheersjohn

Hi, Mike. FU3 already broke extensive ground in simulating weather for flight simulation. Its weather is dynamic, with storm systems that develop realistically. It features cold and warm fronts, just like in real life, each with accurate characteristics, wind movement that makes gliding in FU3 a most fascinating experience, etc.Yep, I may fly FS2002 most of my time now, but for a true weather experience, FU3 is the one in my opinion!All the best.

Yes, Naji. Let's give Peter all the credit he deserves for FU3. I can remember flying around storms as they rolled in from the coast. That was wonderful stuff. Ahead of its time.Thanks for reminding us all of his vision.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

NajiI agree with you that FU3 broke new ground and showed the way ahead.FU3 was a start even if a crude start in the weather visuals.Microsoft should be able to take that start forward with the computer power that will be available by then and offer a truly stunning weather and dynamic capability.I could even see the capability to download actual world weather systems and air movements with the sim adding appropriate clouds and winds as well as actual jet stream movements and clear air turbulence associated with them.CBS will tower to their correct levels, show on radar, produce severe icing, downdrafts, updrafts, hail, Rain etc etc :-)There will be mountain wave, as the temp and dewpoint come together fog will form etc etc etc...........The though makes you drool ;-)Peter

>Yep, I may fly FS2002 most of my time now, but for a true >weather experience, FU3 is the one in my opinion! >As far as a weather experience............ yes, FUIII contained more in the way of virtual moving weather. But at the same time, I was using FLY with additional add-ons such as SKY2. I always thought the FUIII clouds looked quite pitiful in comparison & therefor rarely used FUIII's weather capabilities. Maybe I missed something? :)L.Adamson------ still prefer elevations even over clouds!!Sat. morning from 36U ---- Heber, Utah (Russ McDonald Field)

Hi Larry, The clouds in fuIII are all pixels I don't like them at all and they are limited in format, only the weather system is good. As for the clouds showed from peter, this will take years and years , this will take a HUGE cpu not available, Whitout Scenery, Ground and airports data and good FPS PERFORMANCE, no aircraft can land. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

ChrisFU3 was a start. I agree the clouds were too cartoon like and pixelated.But FU3 was designed some time back for much less powerful computers than we have at present.By FS2004 release Microsoft should be able to manage the textures better (scenery on demand)and we will have far more powerful computers.It should be possible to have the FU3 dynamics and realistic looking clouds.During the beta I was forever moaning at MS about weather and flight models ;-)One of the development team joked that Peter Sidoli would get the weather he wanted in FS2004 ;-)Peter

I remember I'd set up a moving weatherfront in FU III and then I'd just stay on the ground watching the windsock begin to move and flutter, changing direction as the clouds came rolling in and the rain started to patter on the windshield, with the thunder gradually swelling in the background, until the storm became so violent that you couldn't fly at all...FU III really was fantastic in that respect, even though the clouds could look rather cartoony at times...On the other hand, only a relatively small area was being modelled. But remember how the rain streaked across the windshield?Here's hoping that the MS FS team will be looking to the skies for their inspiration for FS 2004...Volumetric clouds, active weather systems, the colors of the environment changing with the weather (no more blue horizons, sharp ground shadows and bright colors on overcast days...)in FS 2004?FS 2002 is looking pretty good right now where ground scenery and planes are concerned, but now the true environment of the aircaft should be getting more attention...On the other hand-it's not going to be easy. It's usually the largest and most advanced computers in the world that are being used for weather/atmosphere modeling!

Peter, Format texture is already ok , it is 32 bits, the problem is the performance , I have big cb can reach 30 000 feet, but it eat fps, I am working to solve the problem. But still problem we can't see all clouds layers and other things, and the sky color should be dynamic color, not always fixed, dawn,day, dusk, color, I hope in fs2004 and finally Peter will post shots from fs2004 clouds, no more real clouds :-lol ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

LarryThis Sky scenery taken from 20,000 feet is equally as impressive as your ground scenery ;-)Peter