Sign in to follow this  

Screen Resolution

I'm running FS2K2 using an STB Velocity 128 card. Screen resolution in windows is set to 1024x768, yet in FS2K2, the best I can get is 800x600. 1024x768 isn't even shown as an option. Any ideas?Thanks,Elliott

How much video RAM does you card have. That's an old card, so the 128 does not stand for 128MB of RAM.

You're right it doesn't stand for 128 mb ram (I wish!) It's an AGP card with 4Mb of video ram. My system has 256Mb RAM if that means anything.

You don't have enough video RAM for your desired level of resolution. You are going to need video card upgrade. Best of luck!

Tell us more about your computer.

Dell Dimension 266 (yeah I know it's underpowered) but I get good frame rates with scenery turned waaaayyyyy down. 256 mb RAM, Windows 98 with SP1. I was using FS98 on this machine before and could get the desired screen resolution. This time, 1024X768 doesn't even appear as a choice even though it's set in the Windows display settings. Appreciate your taking the time to help me.Elliott

Hi Elliott,Wow, at least you are getting some miles out of that computer. I will try to approach this topic gently. You have a great machine for FS95. I do remember poking around on my Pentium 125 (with Overdrive processor) and somebody having got their hands on a ripping new PentiumII 266 and making the rest of us salivate. Anyway, is there hope for a new computer for you any time in the near future? If not, and you really want to up your resolution, get yourself a PCI videocard, any, even a GeForce2MX, will do for that machine, and you can get them relatively cheaply. Check the specs because I don't believe it has an AGP slot. I could be wrong. Let me know what you are thinking...Rob

Hi Robbie,Yes it has an AGP slot, and yes I've gotten good use out of this ol' machine. FS98 worked just fine as long as scenery was kept to "normal". I know FS2002 is far to resource intensive for this machine, but what I still don't understand is why it won't even list 1024x768 screen res when the card will support it, and it is set for that in Windows. I have installed the latest drivers for the card, although, support for it has about dried up. As for a new machine, I'll be getting one within the next 6 months or so, once I've finished remodelling my new home office. Someone gave me FS2K2 as a gift and I just couldn't stand to wait....

1024x768 in 2D back in 1997 is different than the current 3D technology. 4Mb of video RAM just will not do 1024x768 with FS2002. These flight sims get more complicated in terms of video resolution every time they release them. For example, with my 32Mb SDRAM GeForce 256DDR video, I could get 1600x1200x32 in F2000 but not in FS2002. I would need at least a 64MB card.When you get your new machine, you will see a world of difference.Best of luck!

Appreciate the input. Happy simming