Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrewluck

EGT Gauge on the Skyhawk SP

Guest dannol

It wasn't until I started flying the 172SP as a student pilot that I really began appreciating the realism of the Fly!2 Flyhawk panel. I get a very good simulated training flight on Fly!2 and have been flying my x-country flights in Fly! before doing it in real life and its been helping a lot! One question with the EGT I've noticed is that in Fly!2 when flying out of Jeffco (KBJC) in Colorado, the EGT reading is always up near the top of the gauge. In my real-life flights, I try and keep that reading a few notches below the EGT max which usually ends up just below the halfway point. In Fly!2, however, the EGT reading is always up near the top of the gauge. Does anyone know what affects this, and whether or not Fly!2 is handling it accurately? I'd like to know that my mixture is leaned properly :).

Guest andrewluck

The value dsplayed on the EGT gauge is controlled by a set of values in the flyhawk.ngn file. This is contained within the flyhawk.pod file.If you extract this file you'll see that the value is a function of engine rpm and prop blade AOA with a mixture modifier applied.The actual gauge needle is controlled by the flyhawk.pnl file which sets a needle angle for each temperature; up to 500F. If the values displayed are too high then it'll require some massaging of the numbers in this file.I did have some information written down on how tables work. I'll see if I can find it.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH