Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeliFLYer

Help Needed From a Helicopter Pilot

Guest Eagle

I thought I would never be able to fly a helicopter, but after destroying a whole bunch I have finally gotten it off the ground and flying around the airport. Now the questions.How do you control the airspeed, I am forever going above 140. Also how to you go from forward movement to a hover.My thanks to all who respond.

Guest HeliFLYer

Just some words which may help you, if interested in more, ask me! ----------------------EASY SAID you have to control - speed, direction with the stick (cyclic pitch, joystick-stick) - vertical motion (height) with the pitch (collectiv pitch, joystick-throttle) - anti-torque (yaw, tail-rotor) with the pedals (joystick-twist grip ...)----------------------PRACTICALLY CHANGING ONE INPUT REQUIERES CORRECTION OF OTHER CONTROLS(To make it easier, the following leaves out aspects as translational lift, transition, ground effect, influence through wind, vertical stabilizer, cyclic-trim, danger through vortex-state, etc)----------------------Heli-Controls are very sensitive. Make only small changes and watch the effects. Scan flight-attitude, torque-reading, VVI, ALT. Make descends with no more than 500/600 ft/min (safety) FOR INSTANCE YOU WANT TO DECREASE SPEED - lower pitch (collectiv control, joystick-throttle) a little bit AND pull nose a litte bit (cyclic contol back/after = joystick-stick) AND (if necessary, depends on speed) add some more right pedal for US-heli with anticlock main rotor direction (sep. pedals or joystick twist-axis). Watch IAS, VVI, ALT, "the ball". - WHY have to use pitch and yaw (tail-rotor) too? If only flying with stick would cause speed down but vertical motion/ascent of heli. Therefore height-control/pitch-reduction is necessary. Pitch-reduction => less anti-torque to mainrotor needed => less left pedal = more right pedal. ---------------------- YOU WANT TO DESCEND and maintain speed - lower collective pitch (joystick-throttle) AND give cyclic forward/push nose (joystick-stick) AND apply more left pedal (pedal, joystick-twistgrip) as necessary. - WHY you have to use stick an pedal too? Less collective pitch = less anti-torque = less left/more right pedal Less collective pitch = less air through rotor-disk = less forward force = less airspeed. Requieres more cyclic FORWARD pitch of the rotor-disk = more forward force = maintaining airspeed.----------------------Try this first, then ask me for that hover-problem here or mail me vollnhals-bremen@nord-com.netHope you can understand my "German english" and that I could help you a litte.Best regardsGeorg (EDDW)

Wayne,I found using the Shift/Left click process to move the guages to where you can easily see them helps control Topic# 20380:-walksmile

Guest Eagle

Thanks Georg. I have used your suggestions and everything is working a whole lot better. As with anything, practice, practice!!I enjoy flying the helicopters and the visual experience is much better than in a fixed wing.Still trying to go from forward movement to hover.

Guest HeliFLYer

Hello Wayne,nice to hear my hints could help! Before going on, I HAVE TO MAKE A CORRECTION.I WROTE:>>YOU WANT TO DESCEND and maintain speed>> - lower collective pitch (joystick-throttle) AND give cyclic >>forward/push nose (joystick-stick) AND apply more ---left--- pedal >>(pedal, joystick-twistgrip) ---as--- necessary.IT SHOULD BE:YOU WANT TO DESCEND and maintain speed - lower collective pitch (joystick-throttle) AND give cyclic forward/push nose (joystick-stick) AND apply more +++right+++ pedal (pedal, joystick-twistgrip) +++if+++ necessary.Sorry, I wrote this after a hard working day very late Sunday evening.---------------------------The general rule for pedal-force for helis with counterclockwise rotating mainrotor is:MORE collective pitch = more left pedalLESS collective pitch = more right pedal------------------------------------------------------------(FOR FLYII: you may get some effects only if you turned on full realism.Helicopter: torque effects, side force effects, translational lift ... Set both damping gain on 50 %. Set airplane options - exponentional all to ca. 20 % (depends on the quality of your joystick). Set Trim steps all to 1 step. In FLY.INI set "NullZone=1", "ignoreSlopeWind=1", "percentOfWindOnGround=20") ----------------------YOU WANT TO GO INTO A HOVER IN GROUND EFFECT FROM 1000 FEET AND WITH IAS 100 knts?SAFE procedure would be: Make a descend AND reduce airspeed - lower collective pitch (joystick-throttle) AND give cyclic forward/push nose (joystick-stick) AND apply more right pedal (pedal, joystick-twistgrip) if necessary to maintain the following: - AT 500 - 400 feet you should have 60 knts IAS - AT 60 knts IAS you should have MAX. 600 feet/min vertical velocity speed (VVI/VSI) - AT 30 knts IAS you should have MAX. 300 feet/min vertical velocity speed - KEEP a descend angle of ca. 12 degrees - the spot on ground you want to hover on is located at the end of an imaginated line from your heli to the ground with that descend angle - IN THE FINAL ALWAYS AGAINST THE WIND - the final ends at hover height of about 3 - 5 feet (VERY DIFFICULT IN A FLIGHT SIM!!!) where you should have no speed (motion) against ground. - you are hovering in ground effect (HIGE) - carefully reduce collective and land ALL SOUNDS EASY BUT IS DIFFICULT TO LEARN BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! (but enjoy!!! our wonderful sim).There is much to say, particular to tweaking the Bell 407. JAN gave me some wonderful hints some time ago - would suggest you search and read it in the forum #18257, "as a pilot, I declare the fly 2 407 to be the best helo sim yet".Now it is 00:50 a.m. in Germany and before going to bed its time to have a little heli-ride.KEEP FLYINGGeorg (EDDW)

Guest HeliFLYer

Wayne,want to add - if further questions ask me! Little delay in answering because I need time - not all easy to tell in English. But I am really a heli addict - where I can help I will help.Georg