Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Just a thought.

Guest richpress

I wonder how many viewers like me take advantage of downloading new aircraft,repaints etc and have wished to be able to contribute with new work but have been somewhat bewilded by the seeming complexities of doing so. I know there are some very good tutorials out there but sometimes I think that it would be helpful if we could go through say one example of a repaint, aircraft/panel, step by step holding your hand as it were. I thought maybe the forum could be used for such a thing. In this way the novice could ask questions throughout the exercise concluding with the production of the final result. The string could then be printed off as a great step by step tutorial for the beginner.

Guest CaptainJ

Hi There,That's a good point your putting there. But I think there are a lott of people that got a program and after installation they run it for the first time, there first impresions will be "where do I have to start, this program is to difficult for me". At least those where my impresions when I start learning 3D studio and Photoshop. You can't explain in just a tutorial how to make a plane for a beginner. The beginner needs some experience with the UI of the program. Otherwise the tutorial for making a plane would be countless long to explain every button. During my learning progress I boght some books and I found some very very usefull traning video's for free on the web. I think you have to take a look on www.3dbuzz.com go to the download section there (you have to sign up first) and you will find a lott of good traning video's there, from both Photoshop and 3D Studio. With the help of these video's you'll have enough beginners experience to get on with some plane making tutorials, which allready excists in case you haven't noticed on the site from ROTW www.simvol.org it's frence but the tutorial is Englische. It will explain the modeling and exporting of a plane made with 3D Studio versions only. I know this isn't a really good answer to your question But I think it's not a bad idea to lett these people play around with the program first, instead of throw them in the deep with a complex tutorial.Take care,Jarno

Guest tonyc

My best investment was to download FLYGraphics and a demo of Paintshop Pro. With Flygraphics I was able to convert practically everything that is in the Art folders of all fly aircrafts, converted them to bmp and with PSP start experimenting with small changes. Here's an example. I always felt that the centerposts for the Kodiak pplane was too skinny and the scrolling either made the upper part of the centerpost disappear, or by scrolling in the reverse, the main panel would hardly be visible. So, I took the Tri20.pmg and coverted it to TRI20.bmp. From here, I decided to cut some centerpost..... , as you can see, one action builds on another and so on.... Believe me, it's hard but it's addictive and gets easier all the time. Besides, there's nothing better than controlling your very own flight simulator.. and FLY2 is such a beauty. See the attached pics .....tony

Guest rene_35

You dremt about tutorials, ROTW made them for you! :)Download all these files from our site.For your great pleasure, they are in english (Thanks Jean and Leen ;-))Here is the list:From Jean Sabatier (ROTW): how to build a plane with 3D studiohttp://fichiers.simvol.org/fly/fly_2/ACBUILD01.ziphttp://www.pixup.com/pub/fly/acmakebook1.ziphttp://www.pixup.com/pub/fly/acmakebook2.ziphttp://www.pixup.com/pub/fly/acmakebook3.ziphttp://www.pixup.com/pub/fly/acmakebook4.ziphttp://www.pixup.com/pub/fly/acmakebook5.zipFrom Leen de Jager (ROTW): How to repaint an aircrafthttp://fichiers.simvol.org/fly/fly_2/Repaint.zip You have just...to buy 3D studio :-(Have fun!

Guest richpress

Thanks Jarno for your comments. I think on reflection I am being a bit simplistic.

Guest richpress

Many thanks Tony.I have downloaded Flygraffics and already have a version of PSP(old).I have now started a new learning curve by opening an aircraft podfile and viewing some of the files.I will need to watch the addiction bit.Richard.

Guest richpress

Great, many thanks for the links. You have a great web site but unfortunately my French only extends to school boy learning some 60 yrs ago.I guess we are a bit isolated in New Zealand and don't have the same need to learn another language as you would living in say Europe.Richard.

Guest rene_35

But you are not alone in New Zealand, you have "All Blacks" team and in this moment, all the best rugby teams in the world!Don't worry, I gave you the direct download addresses, then you have nothing to read in french.Ren

Guest richpress

Yes Rene and I wo'nt be flying tonight. The All Blacks play South Africa a big quarter final. Who knows, maybe we will meet the French in the semi or final.Best of luck.Richard.

Not to mention, Rene, they have the wonderful (though no longer drawn) comic strip of FOOTROT FLATS by Murray Ball! 'Tis a shame Mr. Ball's inspiration passed away (his own dog), but FOOTROT FLATS lives on! I may live in America, but I even was able to get the animated movie, so despite missing a few of the comic book releases, I am a happy guy and still go back and read the comic strips from time to time, or watch the movie. New Zealand still remains my number one favourite country to have had the honor of visiting (from my Operation Deep freeze days).Many Cheers, Richard!Ken WoodWeather Guesser :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest richpress

Nice to hear your comments. I guess having been based at Christchurch airport you know Chrishchurch and maybe some of the South Is resort areas quite well. Yes indeed Footrot Flats was a great comic strip.Like you I still have a number of the books. They are now regarded as classics and a NZ icon.Richard

Guest richpress

Great photo. It would be nice to welcome you to NZ. My wife runs a small tours business and also does transfers to and from the A/P. Let me know if we can help.Maybe you can get a bit of skiing in while you are here.Yes I have downloaded a couple of files to keep me going.The others are quite big and I will download them progressively.Regards Richard.