Sign in to follow this  
Guest jomar111

Help with searchPodFilesFirst...

Guest jomar111

Hello allI've been following Jean Sabatier's tutorial on aircraft creation and have had a problem once i've extracted and renamed all files in the WORLD ART DATA & Models directories. after that I change fly.ini from searchPodFilesFirst=1 to searchPodFiles=0 but my aircraft does not show on the list when i go to select aircraft. I've already done a little (and when i say little i mean little, I created the Caravelle for Fly back a few years ago) of aircraft creation for fly! 1 but wanted to try my hand at Fly! II . I can only think that it could be because i don't have every file listed in Jean S. tutorial in the WORLD (only a few basic ones) dir nor do I get any file in the DATA dir could this be it or am I off on a tangent?thank you allFly! rocks!

Guest Fly II Pilot

Hi (name?),Where did you extract the files from? Which files did you extract? When you renamed them, did you make the necessary changes in the .SVH, .LOD and .NFO files?Could you post the files you have for this aircraft in each folder?In the world folder you should at least have a .SVH, a .LOD and a .NFO file. In the models folder you should have a .ACM file and in the art folder you should have a .TIF file.Unless you created a custom panel, a needle or a view, you wouldn't need to have any files in the data folder.Unless you created a custom icon, you will see the icon of whatever aicraft you extracted the files from. Also, unless you changed the aircraft's name in the .NFO file, you'll also see the name of whatever aircraft you extracted the files from.Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest jomar111

I extracted from a fokker 100 uk livery .pod file, i also used Citation X, and fokker 28. I generated response files to see exactly where the files were extracted to....I checked and they were there, in the folder. I checked that every file named in J.S.'s tutorial was both renamed and modified. I made sure that searchPodFilesFirst=0 and still nothing...I just reinstalled and patched back up to version 2.50.240 I'm going to modify searchPodFilesFirst=0. I'll try to extract a .pod of ...umm...the peregrine which pod is that? And modify the listed files from the Tutorial....I'll keep you posted on my progressjomar111

Guest jomar111

Hi Roman Smishkewych (jomar111) here again...after the reinstall back-up and patch of Fly! II 2.50.240 its still not displaying the plane in "select aircraft" window. I decided to use the peregrine and expanded that pod, got every file in my Data, Art, Models, & World that was in the responce file, changed searchPodFilesFirst to equal zero instead of 1 (although at this point I started doubting the tutorial and thought, if i change it to one it might work) but I'm leaving it at zero. I'm thinking, could it be the text editor I'm using? Its RichTextFile editor for Mac called TextEdit. I also have Simpletext, although I obviously am using a PC because of the neat utilities for fly II, in that case should I just use NotePad?Fact is that when I get into looking for the skeleton aircraft in "select aircraft" window that certain one doesn't appear! Anyone get into that problem using the J.Sebatier's tutorial? Or anyone at all? I'm running off of a Mac G4 1.25 ghtz 768mg RAM 64mg ATI 9000 AGP 4X......I have attached the uotput responce file to the pod I extracted.ciao,Romanjomar111http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52001.txt

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roman,If you unpodded the Peregrine (Hawker) then what you'll see when you set searchPodFilesFirst to =0 is that the Peregrine will become the first aircraft in the "Select Aircraft" window.Let me see if I understand this correctly. You created a 3D model of a Caravelle and are now trying to set it up in Fly! II, is that correct? If so, then you must have a .ACM file (in the models folder) and a .TIF file (in the art folder).If you haven't done so already, you must now edit the Peregrine's .LOD file (in the world folder) and change the .ACM files listed to your model's .ACM file name (you can leave the shadow .ACM as is for now).The other thing you want to do is change the aircraft's name in the .NFO file (also in the world folder) to whatever is the name of your model.After doing the above, if you go back to Fly! II the first aircraft in your "Select Aircraft" window should be your new model's name but with the Peregrine's icon. You can create an icon later but we'll get to that later.Let me know if this works.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest jomar111

Hello Alejandro,I am in the process of bilding the caravelle in trespace and haven't gotten so far as creating an s3D model. I'm thinking it could be this:When I'm in File Manager I can't seem to get to the aircraft directory so i copy the pod to Fly! II's root folder and extract the .pod from there, everything still goes to the appropriate directories, but could the paths in the .nfo file get corrupted that way? I'm appending a part of my .nfo file here (i used the name J.Sebatien used just in case I was doing things wrong): -- Begin File -- /////////////////////////////////////// // // Vehicle Info // /////////////////////////////////////// -- Signature -- plan -- Make and Model -- Douglas DC3 -- UI Aircraft Icon -- artHawkico.pbm -- classification -- 8 -- usage -- 1 <_SVH> -- General Info File -- DC3.svh <_GAS> -- Fuel System -- DC3.gas <_WNG> -- Aerodynamics -- worldDC3.wng <_AMP> -- Electrical System & Subsystems -- DC3.amp <_PSS> -- Pitot-Static System -- DC3.pss <_WHL> -- Suspension -- DC3.whlMan this sucks....this never happened to me in Fly 1

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roman,If you don't have a 3D model then I don't understand what is it that you're trying to do. Could you explain?At this point, if you only have up to the _WHL entry then you're missing the specification for the .LOD file (which is what indicates the .ACM file that should be loaded) and therfore most likely will get nothing. You also have to make sure you DO have the DC3.svh, DC3.amp, etc. in the appropriate folder.If you do have the .LOD and the rest of the minimum entries for an aircraft, you should have an icon in your aircraft window with the Hawker's icon (artHawkico.pbm) and the Douglas DC3 name. Since you have DC3 stuff in there, I don't know what plane you will actually get. I could tell you if you posted your .LOD file.See, the way it works is as follows:- When you select an aircraft, you're telling Fly! II which .NFO file to read.- The .NFO file tells Fly! II which are the different files for that aircraft. For example, 3D models (.LOD), electrical and subsystems (.AMP), wheels and suspension (.WHL), panel files (.PNL), cameras (.CAM), checklists (.CKL), light (.ELT), pneumatic system (.PSS), radios (.RDO), engine (.NGN), etc.- The .LOD file tells Fly! II which 3D model to load (if more than one is available) depending on the distance to the model, and the 3D model for the shadow.Fly! II already "knows" that panel files (.PNL) and needles (.NDL) go in the data folder, artwork (.PBM, .PBG, .ACT, .RAW and .TIF) go in the art folder, models (.ACM) go in the models folder, that .AMP, .ENG, .NGN, .RTR, .PRP, .CAM, .CKL, .ELT, .PSS, .WHL, .WNG, .RDO, .GAS, .FCS, .SFX, .SVH, .PIT, .MIX, .VLD, .NFO and .LOD files go in the world folder and that sound (.wav) files go in the sound folder. So you shouldn't have to specify any paths in the .NFO file.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Eagle

Thanks, Alejandro, that helps me with the project I am working on. Have you thought of putting your knowledge of this great sim in the form of a tutorial or guide?

Guest Fly II Pilot

Wayne,Most of what I know is already in Jean Sabatier's fantastic ACBUILD01 document. That's where I learned most of it and I keep going back to it all the time. The other pieces of information I use are the Fly! Gauge Reference pdf document and the Fly! 2K notes. The rest is pretty much trial and error... and I should say more error than trial... ;-)I'll be more than glad to answer (if I can) any questions you may have. Maybe someone can compile all this info and put together an expanded FAQ.I've got my plate full between my family (including a 7-months old), full time work, an MBA and F2FD projects.Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest jomar111

Thank you alejandro for your patience...I think I might have posed the question a little too vaguely...this is my first hand at anything in Fly II and this a problem which never happened to me in Fly 1. (Although even superficially you can tell Fly 2 is more sophisticated) I know from working with Fly 1 that you change searchPodFilesFirst to = zero in order for the sim to look for those specific files in those folders. But it seems not to work for me in Fly II, I go through J Sabatiers tutorial 'till I get to part b where I launch fly to view my results...and I see none I'm grasping ay straws here!Would it be possible for you to send me a zip of Art Data Models World dirs (project), that is small, and works for you, to see if it works here?I am posting mine here (I've gotten only to Step 4 part :( of the fokker f28 4000 in Art WORLD DATA MODELS within "caravelle.zip"or follow link:http://home.comcast.net/~eugeniorey/media/caravelle.zipromanjomar111

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roman,I just tried it and it's working fine for me. I assume that when you say zero you mean the number 0, and not the word, right?I checked all the definitions within the files and, if you don't have any other .NFO files in your world folder, the first aircraft on your list you should be a Fokker F28 with the Caravelle name next to it.That's strange.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest jomar111

yes obviously its 0 the numberI tried using mac os nine instead of OS X but same inability...could it be my fly.ini file? i saw misspellings (i haven't touched it except for the searchPodFilesFirst=0) I believe that when I patched it, it came with a new .ini...romanjomar111.ini file:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52136.txt