Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Solution found: SRTM Data in Fly II

Hiafter many hours I found a solution to use SRTM Elevation Data in FlyII and is's amazing sipmple.1.) Download and unzip the SRTM-Data. You get a file with the extension .HGT i.e N47E016.hgt.2.) change the extension from .hgt to .ras. N47E016.hgt becomes N47E016.ras.3.) Start FlyII, start the Fly editor pressing CTRL E, select "Import Scenery"4.) Select "DEM" and press "Start". For the Parameters look at Attachment 1.Thats it. Amazing simple, but it took me 3 Weeks to several Posts to figure this one out. The result you see in Screenshot 2.You can get SRTM-Data from ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/Each File contains data for a square of 1

Some more Information.You can use 3DEM to join SRTM files.This is useful for all globe tiles spanning over a degree boundary.Using the function "export terrain Matrix" in 3DEM you can export an "signed integer" binary file.(.BIN) The Problem is, its 16-bit "little endian" and FlyII needs 16-bit "big endian".The conversion is simple: change Byte 1 with Byte 2, Byte 3 with Byte 4, ...... (0x 1C 01 EA 00 .. .. becomes 0x 01 1C 00 EA .. .. .. ).I have a little utility (an alfa-Version) to do this. If anybody needs this utility, tell me.Change the extension of the outputfile to .ras and you can use the converted file in FlyII as described in my first message.Harald

Guest jjlobo

Great news Harald.I have started, few weeks a go, wondering how to use those STRM data and downloaded S

Guest Hagar

Great research, Harald!I got two Terrasceneries I want to re-make, ENCN and ENBR. So I wonder, where the SRTM data scenery area meets the default...do you get white, jagged edges there? This is what is stopping me from making more TS sceneries...

Guest BOB_J

Sorry Harald, I remember now I already used this procedure for others raster formats, but I have had eyes out of FLY! for a moment, so receive my apologies... and congratulations.Kostenlos, my friend!!! Level 2, it seems.http://193.170.161.213:8080/download/Index.htmlhttp://gis.umweltbundesamt.at/download/Default.jspEuropean level 3...CLC90 is now available from the EAA in the more manageable .tiff format. To my opinion, 250m is a fairly good grid for land use and except small group of houses, all should be there.With the contour vectorize option of CHIPS, I'm pretty sure that entire Austria LC shp's could be obtained in a single pass.You will have at least about forty five useable numerically coded LC in the shp database you can customize, more than enough for "US-like" Terrascene rendering.Extensive description of each land class is provided by EAA on several .pdf docs, a good thick book to print! As usual, good amount of memory make things easier, but be prepared to long processes.Have a look here, you will have trial versions of useable tools for shp with others goodies :http://ftp.cis.nctu.edu.tw/data/cpatch/gis/mapinfo/source/ftp://ftp.nhctc.edu.tw/cpatch/gis/mapinfo/source/ftp://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/CPatch/gis/ mapinfo/source/Download is massive, but may be worth the effort.Some URL's may be unusable within a day...Anybody know a gentleman who have on hand hmmm... ESRI StreetMap Europe?Or for Harald, a friend here : http://www.bev.gv.at/fr_6_sitemap.html

Hi AndrewI never used elevation data in Terrascene.But yes, there are elevations problems on the boundary and I have to edit the TRN-File manually.Harald

Hi BobThank you for your hints. Espesially the Austrian level2 Shapefiles for landuse data are a nice suprise. I will download tonightthank youHarald

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Harald,thanks a lot for sharing this. Your scenery looks great, amazing! I am looking forward to do some helo-rides in mountaineous environment!Georg (EDDW)

Guest richpress

Great stuff. I assume data for Australia,Africa and New Zealand shown on the map gif are restricted and therefore not available?Richard.

Richard,Christian Stock uploaded terrain mesh of NZ for MSFS2K2 which results in very good scenery. I don't know if it's possible to modify it for FlyII.There are huge amounts of topographical mapping data for NZ for free download. The only problem for us is to find out how to get it into a format we can use for FlyII.I tried to colour a B/W aerial photo of Gisborne but found it too difficult. I don't have Paint Shop or similar programs but maybe using them would work, however, I suspect it would be very time-consuming.There are a lot of faulty ground tiles in the Fly II NZ data eg lakes with bizarre shape or where none exist and square islands off the coast.Whilst we all may hope (and want FlyIII ) there is a huge amount we can do to improve the FlyII scenery.We have to be glad there are so many experts ready to give help and explore the options.:-beerchug

Guest jjlobo

HaraldI've finished importing S24W47.ras (renamed from S24W47.hgt) to get elevations for S

Guest jjlobo

HaraldI've imported elevation data to S