Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Cfs3 Clouds

Hi, I know it still in alpha or first beta, and I hope I am wrong, still not see any shots in the clouds from any screenshots and with thats big clouds size, if their was simulating "volumetric" we should already in the clouds,look in the second shots we see all edge of the clouds.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Yep, looks like they're still using the old system with flat cloud sprites (albeit beautiful ones) arranged in a circle around your own A/C-as if you're in the eye of a cyclone.As I said in the Peter Sidoli Seneca thread, now that ground scenery and planes are looking so good, it's time MS started putting more effort in the true enviroment of the aeroplane.Chris-your own efforts in that respect are much appreciated-I'm one happy user of your cloud sets-but real volumetric clouds and dynamic weather systems would be a dream come true and that's what the FS team should be striving for now IMHO.

Guest DaveKDEN

Boy, you certainly have better eyes than me. I can't tell whether those clouds are volumetric or flat by any CFS-3 screenshots I've seen. However, I have seen interviews where they (MS) have stated that you can now hide in clouds, thus implying that they will be truely 3D.Dave

Hi, Like I said , this is not the final cfs3, we will see the final shots later."As I said in the Peter Sidoli Seneca thread, now that ground scenery and planes are looking so good, it's time MS started putting more effort in the true enviroment of the aeroplane."I agree but the ground in 2 years will be out of date, like fs98, fs2000..they have always to update/redone. Ex: scenery from fs98 with detailed sky from fs2004, this will be unrealistic, both should be done always to date. This should not be hard to see in fs2004:Dynamic sky color, (not always the same dawn,day,dusk color) Already easy to do , realistic Snow, rain and lightning bold More than 3 clouds layers visible in (3d) not flat whispyMore clouds variation etc..Also all improved version, Improved ATC etc etc.. it's a long process.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Timbo

Some of the first FS2002 pics we saw looked like FS2000 with a 747, so I wouldn't judge these pictures at all.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

ChrisIf you look at my real world shot I wonder whether there shouldnt be more use of backdrops for distant clouds which cleverly mate with the foreground clouds to give the sky a more solid real look.Btw thanks for all your efforts in striving for the sky realismPeter

ChrisThese were taken from 20000 feet. Tomorrow I fly to Cork with more storms forecast in the other Seneca five (the one with Radar ;-)I will try and get some more shots of what should be even bigger monsters tomorrow Peter

Hi, Yes I remember but the clouds you are talking was fs2000 default in fs2k2 in white colors with the 747, both those cfs3 are totally new, my main concern is how the clouds are simulated not the clouds image, this can be changed. But again I have said it's in alpha or beta we will see...ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

HI, "If you look at my real world shot I wonder whether there shouldnt be more use of backdrops for distant clouds which cleverly mate with the foreground clouds to give the sky a more solid real look."Because you have to add an overcast layers below or others and on top a 1 or 2 cumulus clouds layers, the only way to simulated for now. In those pic, one overvast clouds, (scattered 3/4 or 4/4 in fs2k2) cumulus clouds layers above the overcast and one cirrus on top.still in those pic are the default overcast clouds and cirrus , should be better puffy overcast. but the cumulus are new one. Also this can be improved by using the cluods density to full to have more clouds.Still is the performance is an issue to have better resolution on clouds, slide show or good frame rate..Click here for fs2002 Pic:http://fsw.simflight.com/clouds.htmlThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest DaveKDEN

I certainly hope MS incorporates true 3D clouds in CFS-3 (and all follow on sims). We'll just have to wait and see I guess. In the meantime, I'm VERY HAPPY with your replacement clouds!Thanks,Dave

Guest cwright

Chris, in one of the recent CFS3 shots I think I spotted a 'thin' cloud, something we're all too familiar with in FS2002. It was pretty subtle and easily missed, but it looked suspiciously like a thin cloud to me! But nevertheless the clouds do look good, although they are almost certainly 2D and not volumetric. The terrain looks terrible, but hopefully the new terrain engine will fix that.... Best regards, Chris Wright