Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Florida Terrascene

Guest swathdiver

Howdy fellas, For the last several months I've been working on doing Terrascene with Tiger 2000 shapefiles of the entire state of Florida. Almost halfway there and working on creative packaging to keep the file sizes down. Many thanks to Randall Rocke for answering my endless questions and walking me through the process until I got it right. You wont see any mountains or snow, you will see thousands of lakes and rivers/creeks with accurate roads and cities dated to 2000. Even the Dry Tortugas and Marquesas Keys are in there. When I start posting them in the next few months maybe Wayne will cruise through the state and do some more airports! Once complete I'd like to continue where Randall left off in the north and complete tiles on up to New York and Connecticut. Will need another hard drive for that project!JamesAbout 4 miles south of KLNA.Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Eagle

Hi James:Are there airports in the areas where you have made scenery changes? If so, how do they appear. The airports that I do are based on the default FLY scenery. In some instances when the airports are used in an area where the scenery has changed you will have floating buildings, parking lots, etc. If you have completed an area and don't have an airport, let me know and I will do it and let's see what happens.

Guest swathdiver

Hi Wayne,PBI and LNA are fine. Someone did Key West Int'l a while back and that works too. Have not checked out Vero Beach yet, and someone did Fort Meyers Paige field and looked good from the air. I have not done the north side of Orlando yet, I think you did Sanford awhile back and while installed, I haven't completed that tile.In terrascene I've assigned values for the airports to be mapped, and have them drawn as dirt roads, most are out of position in the sim by 75 yards of so. Too much of a pain to move them all right? Also know of a few strips that are not implemented in Fly!. One is for a private community about 5 miles from my home where the airstrip is in everyone's backyard (grass) and the others are used by a sugarcane grower for crop dusting. One of them is unique in that the parking lot to their truck shop is the end of the runway! I've had them fly right over my head when making deliveries! If I stood up on top of my truck I'd probably be hit by the propeller or landing gear.James Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest swathdiver

Wayne, Vero looks great, no problems at all! Completed Tampa area and hope ot have the space coast done by the weekend, maybe even Jax.St. Petersburg has a nice airport with the ILS approach over the water like LGA and JFK, hint, hint. :-) MacDill AFB is nearby too. How about Davis-Monthan someday? That would be cool to see hundreds of aircraft in one place.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Eagle

James, I will do MacDill AFB and St. Petersburg. Davis-Monthan is an AFB in Arizona. Is that the one you are referring to?

Guest swathdiver

Yes Wayne,I was getting carried away! Yesterday I made an Excel file of all of my and Randy's terrascene projects by global tile. Then I went around the country identifying tiles of interest to Terrascene someday. In the comments section of each tile I want to list the airports you've made. I haven't talked to Randall Rocke yet, but maybe a few of us could indentify tiles across the country to map so you could fly up and down each coast and the gulf of mexico and certain interior portions of the country with detailed Tiger 2000 scenery with your airports all over. JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Eagle

Sounds good to me, James. Anything I can do just give a shout.

Guest swathdiver

An update on the Florida project. Finished downloading today all the remaining shapefiles for Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Also spent considerable time leaning out the individual projects for preparation for upload. So far the Peninsula tiles are almost done and just 8 left in the whole project. I'll identify some airports that would benefit from Wayne's skills with Terramodels soon.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!