Sign in to follow this  
Guest baksteen33

Need some Fly expertise

Guest baksteen33

Hi everybodyMaybe somebody can provide some clues? I thought installing FS9 was difficult..! Here we go. I 'need' to put Fly! (ll) on a computer. To start, I've got two sets of software. One reads fly 2k (4 CDs), the other fly!ll (2 CDs). The story: A daughter of a friend will start to learn flying this summer. 'Her' aeroclub has advised use of the before mentioned program as training software. They have a junior program which allows learning to fly gliders (to start) at next to no cost. Besides, wow, I would have loved to have that where I grew up... Anyway, a few freinds and my family are giving a training computer with the following specs (so far): VIA333 mainboard, AMD XP 2500, GF 4200 128MB, 80 GB HD, 256 MB RAM, Win98 OS. From the read-mes, I assume Fly!ll is the newer program. But I still have some questions: Do I need to install Fly 2k before Fly!ll goes on? Which Geforce driver is ideal using DX8.1? Is this computer too strong and/or please see next question? Do you think I should put in another 256 MB of RAM? A test run with the 2 patches applied to Fly!ll as per Ken's faq post, looks like the sim is very smooth. I removed the *.sit files. So far, so good. All in all, if we could do a little less on 'FlyTendo' hardware, we might be able to squeeze a nice joystick or a set of pedals out of the budget... Any suggestions and ideas are welcome. Thanks and regardsJaap

Guest swathdiver

Fly!2k and Fly! are the older versions. Fly! II is the new one with fewer cds. IF I remember right, the original version came with 3 cds and the newer one just 1, maybe you have a Euro version, or gold edition? Either way, it's the best IMO! Enjoy and keep an eye out for my Florida Terrascene project!JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Jaap,Welcome to the world of Fly!(II)! It appears that you've proceeded very well in following Ken's suggestions. I would recommend the latest certified drivers from nVidia - but...if you're obtaining good performance right now, it might be a good idea to leave it alone. With Fly!II, the more memory (RAM), the better - I highly recommend at least 512 MB. I will be doubling my current 512 to 1 GB.The File Library here at Avsim has many, many great add-ons, corrections, and scenery files for Fly!II. If Fly!II will be used for flight-training, I heartily recommend downloading Rob Young's Flyhawk update.

Randall Rocke

Guest baksteen33

Hi fellasThanks for the replies. Ok, so there's no need to install Fly 2k first... You're absolutely right, this is a multilingo Euro version. And yes indeed, Ken's FAQ is veeeery helpful. Would have been lost, if I hadn't come across it... I also got 'the' RAM answer, like with any sim, the more, the better..! I almost feel silly to have asked! So far, ca. three hours of fiddling and toggling with the program itself. I'm testrunning and 'learning' Fly!ll on my own 'Fly- an RaceTendo' to start (only differences: nForce2 instead of VIA333, GF4600 instead of GF4200). I was hoping to squeeze it down a little (i.e. a slightly 'lighter' CPU, smaller HD or 'only' 256 MB RAM), for the benefit of putting more along side the package perhaps. But now, the FlyTendo recipiants will have to get some pedals or so themselves... I'll put in 512 MB RAM and leave the hardware as is. Basta. Rob Young's Flyhawk update? Is this the same Rob Young as like RealAir? The good man's everywhere... I'll definitely give it a try. It's downloaded. I equally got his Pilatus fix. Thanks for the tip. She'll love it. One final question for now: If I'm looking for Flyll files and infos, is Avsim the premier source? Or could you, in case, perhaps indicate some other ones? I have surfed around a bit here and using search engines, but even locating patches etc, seems to be a little tricky, as there are so many versions... Also, is there a 'Terra Basic' page somewhere? Glad about any indications. Cheers mates. Regards Jaap

Guest baksteen33

SalutBien vu, Pascal Columbo! Eh oui, mais j'habites 'Outre-R

Hallo Jaap,Nice to have you I the world of FLYII!Have a look at http://fly.simvol.orghttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/http://www.leendejager.nl/flyhttp://www.f2fdesign.comI am Dutch and living in Holland.Mail me I you have specific questions about repaints.GroetenLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Jaap,My hearty "welcome aboard" to Fly! II as well!The V2.2 texture file is good, as it is backward compatible. AS long as you put that one in, the add-ons *should* all work fine and dandy.Past what Leen and Pascal have sent you, there are not too many more sites to find on Fly! or Fly! II. The FAQ postings are about the most reliable for tweaking the sim. Pretty much all files needed are here at AVSIM. Be sure to download the map files (AVSIM Fly! II Misc directory, I believe). I think there are some for your area online as well. If not, Rob Westhouse put together a tutorial on how to make and place a sectional map within the sim. You can do an extended search in the AVSIM library using Rob's name to locate all he has in the library.Many cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest baksteen33

Hi Leen and KenWow! Mucho thanks for the replies. Now it's definitely enough to read myself 'suf' (silly) for a while... Hat off to you in this forum. Five replies and I'm feeling totally set to go. Again, many thanks for that. Kind regards Jaap