Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeliFLYer

PA-28-161 Checklist

I have been flying a real Piper as of late, and created this checklist of pre-flight, in-flight and emergency procedures. Thought Fly!2 flyers might enjoy when flying ROTW's PA-28, particularly the engine start procedures since most of them will work in the simulated plane.Is anyone interested? If so, I'll post the ZIP to this thread. Let me know.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v52.16, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'll upload it. S/B thre tomorrow.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v52.16, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I uploaded the ZIP to the Fly!2 Misc forum. It should probabaly show up tomorrow.Enjoy. -DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v52.16, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi David,thank's a lot for sharing this! As Jan already said, real life procedures and information are of great interest for (at least) some of us simmers.As my real-life experiences are 99% helo-related but I love to take one of those GA fixed wing aircraft for a simulated ride and train my virtual flying skills, it would be interesting to hear from you any short valuation of that simulted bird (how far "off" is FLY! compared to real-life experience?). If you would not discuss it here, an email via AVSIM is also highly appreciated.Thank you very much in advanceGeorg (EDDW)

ROTW's flight dynamics are quite realistic in "normal" flight. I've been able to closely simulate procedures I perform in the real bird when using Fly!2's Piper by ROTW.When I say "normal", what I'm referring to is flying without unusual winds, and during the phases of flight that do not show the extremes of the plane's capabilities.... primarily those "slow flight" capabilities.For example, Fly!2 stalls don't have the feel of real stalls. This is obvious, b/c one cannot "feel" anything sitting at a computer. And feel is an absolutely critical element of the stall.The yaw tendencies of a real plane in full power takeoff configuration and in slow flight are also not simulated as realistically as other aspects of flying real planes. But..... this is not to in any way underestimate the extraodinary accuracy of the plane in some many other ways. I was able to practice landing at my home airport KDXR (Danbury, CT) using pretty much identical circumstances (using METAR), and when combined with TerraScenery of the area, Scott Cannizaro's airport buildings, the ROTW Piper.... jeez, it was so incredibly close that I couldn't believe it. I am quite certain that I am progressing much faster than I would otherwise due to my 1,000+ hours Fly!ing.Other aspects.... well the interior and exterior graphics are identical. Other than the instrumentation differences in my plane vs. the one ROTW modeled (e.g., I have a GPS in my plane), the cockpit is a twin against the real thing. Exterior views feel perfect. Bottom line is our simulator is excellent.One very important difference I should point out. When you perform a real crappy landing in Fly!2, your passengers don't throw up and you don't get that sinking feeling you just broke the landing gear. In real life, that all happens.Enjoy Fly!ing. But if you have the time and the cash, get out in the real thing. Its the biggest thrill next to .... well you know what I was going to say. And trust me, sometimes flying is more thrilling.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v52.16, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi David,first of all thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. What you say is just what I hoped: the difference between a game and a SIM is in my opinion the effort to "translate" real-life into some reduced form (as good as you can do it with a desktop-sim, technical possibilities of our time, controls of limited quality, no real switches and instrument-panel, etc.) but with fixing the aim that someone who is methodical and willing to learn can transfer (at least some) acquired sim-knowledge back to real-life. And that is what you said, if I did not misunderstand you.Nearly the last 2 decades I am in the air many, many hours a year as a helo-passenger (they say crew-member, but as I have nothing to do with flying and mostly sitting back in the cabin, I would prefer the word PAX within this discussion), so I know what's the difference between chair-flying and feeling all those forces and visual impressions.But it is good to hear ROTWs PA28 and FLY!2 can be classified as a SIM.Best regardsGeorg (EDDW)