Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

USGS Data Unavailable - TerraScene Unuseable!

For those of us who use TerraScene, it is not currently possible to create new USGS-designated scenery unless you already have the USGS geographical data downloaded. For those of you who are using my render packs, this will not be a problem, as I included all the data in the packs. However, all of us are now unable to download new data for new areas, as the USGS site has either been closed down, has technical difficulties, or is being moved.The original home page for the data still exists, but most of the page text is gone, none of the links work, and the FTP locations for the data itself are all gone. This means you cannot generate new scenery with TS unless you already have the data (TS can access the data from any location, including CDs, HDs, etc., but the data has to be there). For those who don't use USGS data, you can still render scenery with shapefile information.I'm praying that this is just a change with the site, not a loss of the data itself. I do have a message into the EDC Web Master, so let's not all flood them with requests or complaints until we can get some answers - as today is a U.S. holiday, I probably will not get a response any earlier than tomorrow. We have to be careful not to speculate too much, but considering they dumped the 7.5 min. DEM data a while back and Todd had to rescue it by moving it to Wings with Wires, this may be another in a series of U.S. cost-cutting moves. If they dumped it in the guise of "national security", this is going too far!!Some of us have the USGS data on disk - if we find out the online resources are gone forever, we may be able to work out new ways to share it. Again, let's hope this is just an upgrade or move.

Randall Rocke

Thanks Randall for the information. Somehow, I feel better I now that the datas are still somewhere! Those who downloaded the whole set are heros!I do hope as well it is just a technical problem, not a political choice!All the best!Pascal

Guest Philip Olson

Thanks for the heads up Randall, I was going to go back to work on my Colorado, New Mexico and Texas project later this evening after several months away from it. I guess that will not happen now. I do hope the information will be back up and available soon and that this is not a long term loss of the data. Please keep us informed if anyone has any information regarding this. Hmmm, now what am I going to do tonight? Thanks again, Philip

Guest swathdiver

I knew I should have finished Florida and not flew around enjoying the scenery for a few days! :-(Well, I've done everything but the panhandle so far.Could you post a link for us to complain too? How about we send the guy $50 and have him burn it to DVD?JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest OU812

I just got done with a 5o mile radius of ktyr Tyler pounds field in Tyler TexasI did dump the output directory but still have all of the 7.5 demsI hope they didnt dump them but if they did what are the chances of getting the new dems they did from the shuttle...?

Right now, ironically, only the 7.5 DEMs are still available for download, as the USGS gave them up some time ago. Todd Klaus worked out a wonderful agreement with Wings with Wires and moved a copy of the 7.5m set to the new host - that's where they came from when you activated the rendering process.I have yet to hear from the USGS as to what is transpiring.

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

It's working again!!!Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Ideas

Looks like they are trying!They come up, then go back down...

OK - I received a response from a USGS representative this morning that the FTP is running - that the server may have gone down temporarily. (Wasn't it down "temporarily" over 3 days?)Regardless, the FTP appears to be working. I have asked the USGS to respond as to their plans for the future - will they continue to make this data available online free to the public? If not, then we can begin to archive the data to protect against losing this valuable resource.

Randall Rocke