Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Guest Brad_B

has anyone rendered this tile, and is willing to share it as a render pack? It covers portions of detroit and port huron MI, and windsor-sarnia ONT. (Thus requires knowing how to do canadian renders)

Brad,Sorry to say, I'm all around it but I've never done that particular GT. You will find these render packs and, in one case, finished global tile in the file library:Detroit: 196,161Toledo: 196,160Marblehead: 197,160

Randall Rocke

Guest Brad_B

I have all those. Just rendered Detroit today, needs to be redone though with a different farm texture. (doesnt match the TS ive done for the rest of the state, easy fix though). Anyway, I was hoping somebody had done 197,161 specifically. It was great to have the candian stuff already set up in your packs.

The USGS FTP site is back up. I hadn't planned on doing anymore of that area and have a number of other projects running.Though there is some detail shape info available from the Canadian govt., I have found portions of it to be corrupted - this is why I use very basic DCW data when filling in Canadian spaces along the border. I would be happy to render 197,161 some time in the future, but it would be months from now because of my schedule.

Randall Rocke

Guest Brad_B

Where are you getting the DCW data from? Already in shp format? thx

Directly from the Digital Chart of the World archives - the ArcExplorer browser is defaulted to this source. When you run ArcExplorer it accesses DCW. DCW data is also available here: http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/I also obtain some data in E00 form through my account with the GIS Data Depot at GeoComm. Then , I use converters to change the data into SHP format.

Randall Rocke

Guest Brad_B

Any chance there is a freeware converter?I just did the DCW download from the url you posted, unfortunately it appears to be E00 as well.Last I knew the only converter people knew of was a time limited trial. Has this changed at all?

ArcExplorer will access the DCW data directly as shapefiles.As for other data, such as E00, I convert it using the FME translator - this is the "trial-related" program you recall. If you do not have the FME trial version, I would recommend downloading Colin's new TerraShape program.His new version of TerraShape will convert E00 files. Also TerraShape is a wonderful tool for editing or creating your own custom shapefiles with the participation of a CAD program.You should be able to download TerraShape here: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/colins2

Randall Rocke