Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

USGS Server Back Up

The FTP site appears to be operating again - the USGS responded to me this morning that all appeared to be working properly and apologized for any inconvenience.Even with this data being accessible again by direct FTP or through TerraScene, I'm worried about the future. Many of the graphics elements that used to link to this data on their web site have been removed or the links no longer function. Obviously, there are changes being made that make it more difficult for the general public to use the data.I have asked the USGS rep to give us the inside dope on what their plans are. If they are going to be selling the data in the future like they did with the 7.5 DEMs, then we can make plans to archive the share the data before it is lost.

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

It does not appear to be totally back yet, CONUS is ok, but Alaska, Hawaii and other outlaying Areas are gone...

Thanks - I'm going to pass on that info right away. FYI - here's the response I received from the USGS:"As far as I know, there are no plans to remove this data. Although it still wouldn't be a bad idea to download what you want now. There are no guarantees. As far as the missing links, I have notified our web team, and they will look in to the issue. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me. Have a great day!"Kelly___________________________________________Kelly SmithData and Applications SupportScience Applications International Corporation (SAIC)USGS EROS Data CenterSioux Falls SD 57198

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,hhmmmm.? That's pretty non-commital isn't it :-( Doesn't exactly instill any confidence that the data is there to stay in the long term.If a winks as good as a nod and I were interested in terrascening part of America I would be heeding his advice and downloading as fast as possible and storing it away for a rainy day.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Roger,Absolutely - some of us did that a couple of years ago when the USGS went to dump the 7.5m DEMs. Ironically, I appear to have lost my backup copy (10 discs of the continental U.S.)!!! I'm going to go back to the source and see if I can get a new set - if not, it's time to fire up the FTP for some big hits.

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

That data would fit on one double-sided DVD-RAM disc.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

OK, the USGS states those links are back up - how about giving them a try and letting us know?

Randall Rocke