Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brad_B

Squawkbox questions

Guest Brad_B

Hi,I finally managed to try out squawkbox today. Did a flight in the cessna, and it all went beautifully. If anyone has been 'thinking' about it, but hasnt tried it out, I'd really reccomend it. It wasnt perfect (I didnt use voice, and there werent alot of controllers) but it did add a new dimension to the flight. Pop on to an airport with a couple controllers, and listen/watch for a few mins. Everyone was nice, and it wasnt nearly as hard as I'd let myself believe it would be.I have a few questions though...For starters, the document that came with Squawkbox mentions that one should always use the same call sign. Im confused what the callsign should be? Is it a tail number? If so, isnt it impossible to use a cessna tail number with a boeing 737? Also, the links I find to download RogerWilco now state that it has a buffer vulnerability, and cant be downloaded for safety reasons. I also saw it mentioned that there is a new 'voice client' in use called "Advanced Voice Client" (AVC), does anyone know if this works with Fly!? I'd love to give voice a try, but i want to wait and install the right client first.The scenery seemed misaligned, not much of a problem, atleast on the flight I did, but I'll post another thread about that, since I cant get FS Import working yet . . . Hmmm... what else.Oh, does anyone have a reccomendation re: Servinfo vs Whazzup?ThanksOoops, I knew I'd remember more questions right AFTER I hit 'Post'. What is the standard for setting altimeter when using Squawkbox? I didnt notice it in the ATIS (I may have missed it), and when I asked for an 'altimeter check' It appeared to me they had no clue what/why I was asking.

Guest Brad_B

Actually, I was already there... took the only course offered, got 100% on the test. It doesnt answer any of my questions : /

Guest tonyc

The call sign is a number that gets stored in the SB ini file. It's the number that the controller sees when you log on. It does not have to be the one that's on the plane. You pick one like...UA3125 or like it.tony

Guest Qdog

I am registered with Vatsim as HA150. That is my call sign assigned to me from Harvey Air. It doesn`t matter what kind of plane your flying because you have to file a flight plan with all that information for the air controller before you get clearance. As for RW. I have never used it in sqawkbox.As for the altimeter setting. When you load in the latest metar file, click on weather at the top of the screen and current conditions and pick first waypoint and your altimeter reading will be in that airports info towards the bottom. Hope this helpsQdog

Guest Brad_B

RE: Call signI now show up as a Cessna callsign, am I permanently stuck with that now? I thought it was just for that (trial) flight.DOH!

Guest tonyc

It's permanent only in terms of what the SB ini file has registered. You can change the call sign by simply "re-installing" SB, which will enter the new call sign in its ini file. You will find the ini file( I believe) in the FLY2 main directory.tony

Guest andrewluck

When you connect to VATSIM, just change the callsign in the connect box. I regularly use two, Speedbird 550 and G-FIZZ depending upon what I'm flying.At sometime before takeoff, usually when they give you your flight clearance, the controller will give you the current QNH. Setting the altimeter to that will cause it to read your altitiude above sea level. Having a conversion chart to hand is useful as they'll usually give it in milli Bars and not inches of mercury which is what the Fly! altimeters have on them.RegardsAndrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest Brad_B

Thanks guys, my VATSIM 'history' finally showed my second call sign. This is where I was affraid it was permanently set.Is anyone using Advanced Voice Client?