Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Another airport error?

Guest swathdiver

Set up a flight from PBI to LGA with C4TO active. Flight plan's first waypoint was off Georgia so I could enjoy my Florida scenery then up along the coast to LGA. Got up to Daytona Beach area and left to pet store. Came back and had this error. DCHS0814.SMP, SMODEL.CPP, Line 3201. Scenery along Georgia through Virginia is Randall Rocke's Terrascene and Wayne's airports sprinkled througout. Last time something lik this happened it was Terrascene looking for an airport, I think! Flight could not have gotten further north then North Carolina or southern Virginia at best. Any ideas fellas?JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Eagle

James, try adding Charleston AFB (KCHS) download ID 30165 and see if that corrects the problem. The airport is in South Carolina.

OK - Now this is getting very strange! After I had produced the Charleston global tile (one of the early tiles for the Carolina Project), Wayne came out with the CHS airport scenery. When I tried out the airport (nicely done, Wayne), it just didn't match up well with the surrounding TS textures (too many industrial textures running through some taxiways, etc.) So, I did a special little project - a grass underlay that matched the airport boundaries well and lay nicely under Wayne's airport.Here's how it looks with Wayne's CHS and my Charleston area TS:

Since this was not around at the time I produced the TS pods or data packs, there's no way that anything should be calling for it to load! However, the model file for the flat underlay is DCHS0814.SMF, so something is looking for it??!!Regardless of what may be causing the issue, I would recommend you download and install my Charleston KCHS Grass Airport Underlay here: http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=30817I hope that resolves the situation! :-roll

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Randall,It looks very nice :-)Apart from that, have you considered using a shapefile to create the grass underlay?Using TerraShape, it is easy to create grass polygons and aprons etc.For users of shapefiles:Simply draw a rough area excompassing the airport and put that as the base layer.The other (more accurately defined) layers will render over the top.For USGS data users:Draw a careful grass polygon where you want it and render it after the other land coverage data, but before the lines files.It saves having to make models and include them in pods.Colin

Hi Colin,TerraShape would indeed be another option. The nice thing about using TM to create a flat underlay model, is that it can be created and added at any time. My TerraScene for the area was already posted on Avsim when I discovered that CHS was one of the few airports that did not have specific data on the airport area in the Tiger Census information. Many airports are beautifully defined in the Census shapefiles detailed polys, and I simply link them with a rough grass background to get nice airport areas generated by TS "automatically".CHS was one of those that wasn't included in the data, so when it rendered, the general USGS data placed some rather poor textures inside the airport boundaries.You have created an astounding tool with TerraShape, and I'm sure that as I use it more and more I'll find many uses. The great thing about the TM underlay models, is you can add them to existing scenery instantly - they immediately cover all background textures and automatically underlay all taxiways and runways, if you so choose. Sometimes I hit it on the head - other times I have to remake it several times. I simply dump the misaligned files and redraw, then output the files, restart Fly! and see what happened - this also allows me to see how the underlay aligns with roads and other textures from TerraScenery.Of course, if I had not already finished the TerraScene for that area, I could have made the underlay with TerraShape, then loaded the shapes into ArcExplorer for verifying before rendering. :-)

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

Looks like I already had it installed but had the file in question in double model folders from the unzip process or something. The other files were fine. So Randy, your TSing isn't crazy! :)JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!