Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

How do I fix atc zig zag ?

I create my flight plans with fs2002 planner and many of these but not all are messed up in that atc repeatedly changes my flight heading, only to again have me resume own navigation. These plans can be quite annoying. :-(I think this has been discussed some time ago, but can't recall why this happens and how can I eliminate this problem.Need your help !SteveCYYZ

I've had this same problem and this is what i did.... ATC instructed me to turn to a heading and resume own navigation...but what i do is just keep my autopilot to the heading hold and not the nav hold...i will be flying paralell my planned course and ATC will have me turn to put me back on course...however i cannot turn quick enough and will go to the other side of my course and i will be zig zagging for quite a while... by the way,what aircraft are you using??

HowdyI'm usually flying the PSS Airbus but I don't think it matters what aircraft I'm using. Seems certain plans I've created when used with FS2K2's ATC, continue to give the same heading change then back to the correct coarse, again and again all through the flight.Redoing the flight plan doesn't fix it. :-(Is there any solution to this problem ?SteveCYYZ

Guest Tim W

Steve,There really isn't a solution for this. I've noticed it ever since I had FS2002. It doesn't matter whether you create the plan in FS2002 or with FSNAV, you still get zig-zags. I use FSMETEO too which with it's upper air winds may have something to do with it. It's not as bad as the other problem I've found with ATC and that is being vectored onto an ILS for say runway 06 at a destination, being established on the ILS and when told to call tower, he tells me to make left base for 24!This happens so much I abandoned FS2002 ATC for the joys of online flying with VATSIM and Squawkbox. A much more realistic and pleasuable experience since I got my headset working. I wouldn't fly ATC any other way now!regardsTim

Hi TimDarn, I was really hoping for some kind of fix. I wish I new why other plans work fine ?I would really like to fly on VATSIM but haven't got up the nerve yet. :-) I plan on signing up soon and going to the convention in Toronto, hoping that this will remove some of the mystery.SteveCYYZ

Guest Tim W

Steve,VATSIM is really quite easy. Go to www.vatsim.net and download SB (squawkbox), To see what aircraft and controllers are online, download 2 other small progs, "Whazzup" and "Servinfo" (both available via the Vatsim site under "other software", and if you have a headset download "Roger Wilco".There is an excellent tutorial that helped me get going on the left called " Getting Started" I only installed everything 3 weeks ago and now I wouldn't be without it.Good luckTim

Guest Jet

I'm thinking of doing VATSIM also, it seems so cumbersome like 5 hours of work to figure it out.Sounds like it was not so bad for you.Is it easy to find two relatively close places to fly between that have ATC on-line or is it more like you have to stay in one place since that is the only area with ATC service available?Thanks,