Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

InfoMetar ICAO Updates

>But another approach which has occurred to me today is to add a new >command line argument to InfoMETAR, wherein another program like >FSBuild can pass in the filename of a temporary file that contains >a list of lat/lon coordinates (either floating point or deg/mn/sec) >along with (optionally) the ICAO code and descriptive text (name) >for each such coordinate. This would certainly be doable, its something Fsbuild does for the PS1 weather program SimWx, and on a more general scale the MSFS weather program FSMeteo via the FS planner file.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest DSandberg

Ken,Regarding the ticked boxes for changing elevations and ignoring remarks data, I'm not aware of any problems there. One thing to note is that the "remarks" checkbox doesn't ignore the entire remarks section, only remarks entries that can fool Fly!'s decoder into thinking they are temperation/dewpoint combinations (and I think the full text of the checkbox says that pretty clearly). The max/min temperatures in the remarks section don't look like the main temperature/dewpoint elements, and I've not been aware of any problems with them, so they are being left alone. That checkbox primarily looks for and removes PK WND elements, which all too often fool Fly!'s decoder into thinking they are (extremely high) temp/dewpoint info. If you've encountered problems with high/low/min/max temp remarks screwing up the altimeter readings, that would be news to me and would need to be addressed separately.The checkbox for changing cloud layer elevations also works correctly to my knowledge. It may be worth pointing out that all altered cloud elevations are constrained by InfoMETAR to elevations that are valid for inclusion in METARs, according to the official coding specs. This means that, for example, a cloud elevation of 4800 ft AGL with a station altitude of 400 ft MSL will result in a modified MSL cloud elevation of 5000 ft rather than 5200 (because cloud layer elevations above 5000 ft are required to be constrained to the nearest 500 ft level by the METAR spec). If there are problems with the cloud elevations modification code other than this, please do provide any details you can about them so I can have a go at explaining and/or fixing them! :)And you are all too correct about real world obligations. I myself am in the process of moving right now, and also am wrapping up a period of (unsuccessful) job searching (oh, to live in India where all of the software development jobs seem to be going), so my time is necessarily limited these days.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest DSandberg

Thanks, Randall ... I'd overlooked that post. ;)

Guest DSandberg

Glad to hear it. As soon as time allows I will take a further look into implementing something along these lines, and will let you know if and when I might have a new version for you to start playing around with.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][/tr][/table]

>>And you are all too correct about real world obligations. I>myself am in the process of moving right now, and also am>wrapping up a period of (unsuccessful) job searching (oh, to>live in India where all of the software development jobs seem>to be going), so my time is necessarily limited these days.>Aye, I know that feeling all to well, for just over a year ago I was laid off from CNN International, and have been unsuccessful (so far) in finding a weather related job. How about Australia?? Or New Zealand?? Aye - the jobs in the U S of A are all going elsewhere it seems. :-(I will study closer what has been going on with the sim and weather elements from METARS and try to provide you with a more detailed example. Right now am busy with work and the continuation of the Seawind Amphibian project, plus a couple of other goodies for Fly! II users that I cannot say anything about right at the moment. ;-)Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster