Sign in to follow this  
Guest hkmiller

Finally, FLY2, cpu and video card marriage!

Guest tonyc

Until a few days ago, I had an amd 2100 overclocked to 2050 mhz and a geforce fx5600 256 meg. In overcast conditions, autogen, and some panels I would get into the 18 fps or so. NOt bad. Well, the other day I received my amd mobile 2500 , which cost me only $100.00 from Newegg. This cpu can be overclocked to incredible heights. In fact I've got it at 2350 mhz, and all of a sudden FLY2 is perfect. I can fly in any condition, with great fps. We're close to giving FLY2 what it needed! At last, things are looking good.tony

Guest hkmiller

You like the fx5600? What did you have before?

Guest tonyc

I had a g3 ti300 256 meg. The fx5600 is not supposed to be that good, and since they came out, the fx5700 seems to be the one to buy. I will stick with the 5600 since most of FLY2 requirements pertaind to raw cpu power.tony

Guest hkmiller

I have the geforce 3 w/ 64mb memory and an athlon xp1700 oc'ed to 2,000mhz. I am amazed that by increasing your cpu a small amount had that much impact on your fps.

Guest tonyc

The g3 64 meg suffers from two limitations: the memory is on the low end, and the drivers are at least 50% slower than the latest FX drivers in the 55x. If you want to get an idea of where the video card plays an important role is in antialiasing. Try turning it to 0 and then bring it to 2x or 4x. Your frame rates will drop significantly. Also the xp1700 has only 256 vs 512 secondary cache. FLY2 has a tipping point, beyond which the fps will be great. I would get the xp mobile 2500 selling for 100 from Newegg, and with decent cooling you can bring it to 2500 mhz easily. It's the best investment. From here, you can judge the video card better. 128 meg is minimum for FLY2.tony

Guest hkmiller

Thanks. Very interesting.