Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Latest Nvidia driver.... 56.64..........Observations.

G'day All,Well it certainly seems to be a lot more stable using this latest driver, my firewall (zone alarm) will cause a dump to desktop when it throws up an alert warning ( this feature can however be switched off ) but it doesn't crash Fly! II ( just minimises it ) and a simple click of the mouse has Fly! II up and running again.BUT ........for me there is a price to pay using this driver.1. Who turned out the lights? Landing and taxi-lights no longer throw a nice beam as they did before. Now it is almost impossible to tell from within the cockpit whether they are on or off. The exterior view shows the faintest of faint beam. A bit like the VW car with 6V electrics. :-)I tried fiddling with the night scalar value in Fly.ini but couldn't get any improvement.2. The original Fly! no longer works. As soon as I get past all the setup windows and the sim starts it crashes with a "3D error message box". This may be fixable with a new scf file but I doubt it. Fly! worked perfectly with the 45.23 driver.Is anyone able to confirm either of the above? If this is the case I'll probably return to the 45.23 driver as I was happy enough with the performance.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

Roger, I was getting jelous about not being able to use the latest driver. It's interesting: I am using the FX5600 and win98, and am wondering if it's card related. Also, I need to tell you that from the 45x to the 50x the fx5600 performance improves by 50% in frame rates.tony

Guest desmondw

Hi Roger, I installed the new driver for my GeForce2 card & Windows XP Home OS & find that the landing & taxi lights from inside the cockpit or outside view work the same as they did before, at least on the Sahara aircraft, no problems with brightness. I don't have the original Fly! installed any more on my computer so can not tell you if there is any thing changed as far as it goes.Desmond

Hi Roger and all,Yes, I have had the same symptoms on my computer. I have FLY2Jewel case Edition. It crashes just as you say and the landing lights are weak in FLYII. I'm sorry you are having trouble but I'm glad to see it isn't just my computer. MSFS04 sings with this driver though so I will stay with it. I would consider going back to 45.23 but I just bought a FX5600XT 256 card. 45.23 dosen't support it.The new card doesn't seem to help FS2004 a lot but it really made FLYII a new sim!I hope you can fix the driver problem Roger.God bless all,Earl

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi,I was curious and installed the 5-6-6-4.exe (56.64) Driver for my 5600XT 128MB running under WinXP Home DirX 9.0b. I got nearly the same results a) CDT unexpected after 20 minutes :( Performance (whatever tweaking I did) was not good - though a good framerate was indicated, the display was not really "fluently", I had some "micro"-stuttering, not the same sort of stuttering you already know to well as a senior FLYer. (To mention: all background-programms stopped, vertical sync disabled (tried also enabled), AMD Barton 2500, 768 MB Sys-RAM). Reinstalling my old 53.03_wimxp2k_english_whql.exe driver (winxp) (There is also a 53.04_win9x_english.exe - win9x)solved all (new) problems. Unluckily this driver also displays the landing lights very poor, you have no light on the ground. But in my opionion its the best driver for the 5600XT.By the way, one wonderful TWEAKING TOOL is nVHardpage, www.Guru3D.comwhich also lets you OVERCLOCK your card ( my card working for hours heavy overclocked without problems).RegardsGeorgHeliFLYer EDDW

G'day Tony, Nothing to be jealous about mate. When I first installed the 56.64 drivers I could hardly believe my eyes. I was cruising with frame rates of 150-180 and if I headed for clear sky I actually got 222 FPS. These rates are obviously not true. Over the day as I continued to make changes to scenery parameters the frame rates continued to fall back to the realistic values more or less in line with the 45.23 driver. ( Those magical rates never returned ) Don't ask me why as I haven't a clue.I always thought that drivers were chipset based but individuals are reporting different results for different cards.I have now re-installed the 45.23 driver and FlY! 2K works once more, and I have the beautiful lights again in Fly! II. I'm a happy camper again. Why I've gone back to the 45.23 driverCheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Desmond,No problem with the geForce2 card. I have a geforce2 GTS PRO 64 mb and I still think that this chipset is the best of the lot. If only they would give it 256 Mb of ram. Using a graphic test program "final reality" the Geforce2 gts/pro card beats FX-5900 128 MB card I have currently installed by about 10% With FlY II however the 64 Mb realy limits the geForce2 card.Thanks for the input, there's more to drivers than meets the eye.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Earl,I've gone back to the 45.23 driver and everythings working just fine again. See the pic in my reply to Tony.Officially the 45.23 doesn't support the FX-5900 chipset either but as you know the driver is a univeral driver and the chances of it working with your card are pretty good.I just didn't like not having landing lights and being unable to use Fly! 2K was too high a price for questionable FPS improvement.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day George,I,ve returned to the 45.23 driver and alls well!Lights work, Fly!2K runs and fps in Fly! II is quite good.Alls well that ends well.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

Perhaps fixing the lights might be an option.I will look at the "mask" one of these days. I am much more intrigued by the unexpected crashes, that is, FLY2 simply disappears to the desktop. Now that I am beta testing Squawk Box, the crashes occur more regularily. I have definitely tied the increase in cTDs to AA. I wish I could tie it to drivers and a video card. All of you with ATI.....tony

Hi Roger, With my Ti4200, the light cones don't seem as bright from the plane, but the overall illumination of the runway/taxiway seems to be okay for me. Of course, I'm using a flat panel 18 inch digital monitor in a dark room - could make some kind of difference for me. :-roll Once I went to the 5x.xx series of drivers, I've not been able to get Fly!2k to work, no matter what I did with the SCF file. There's still stuff I like to do with Fly!2k - like Fly the Aero Commander (hint,hint, Bart!), but with the Seawind project and now the Seneca and Learjet stuff going on, I need the HDD space! ;-) I DID lose some FPS work though. Recently got some NZ sceneries converted with FSI, and low and behold - NZCH/NZWN drops me to 4-6 FPS when coming in for landings! Sooo... I guess 56.64 isn't quite all I'd hoped for after all! :-( BUT! The sceneries are still Fly!able.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

G'day Ken,Both the runway/taxiway lights and the overall nightime illumination are fully configurable in Fly.ini You can adjust them to suit the individuals preferrence. I think we will find that the 56.64 drivers are NOT COMPATIBLE with Fly!2K (at least with the FX-series Nvidia cards. geforce2/3 cards may still be OK. ) This is reason enough for me to revert back to the 45.23 driver as it works well with Fly!2k. I simply refuse to give Fly!2K up.Jean did an absolutely fantastic job with the 707 lights that I can quite happily just taxi around at night and use an external view to just marvel at the aircraft's lights. - my second reason for going back to the earlier 45.23 driver. I don't know what gets into software designers minds but fixing a problem by creating another problem is no fix at all!I trust that alls going well with all your projects. The Seawind looks like its going to be a gem of an aircraft. Can't wait.... I'm not being pushy - just cant stop drooling every time the Seawind gets a mention. :-) same for the Seneca as well :-) To be honest I haven't got a lot of high density heavily populated scenery. My Sydney environs is my most dense. It has 5 airports all within a circle of about 12 nm radius. With all the settings at maximum this can bring my 128 Mb card to its knees. By limiting view to 20 miles and hi-res range to 4 and med-res range to 9 I can pretty well fly all around in any direction and get at least 20 + fps. Most of the time it's 70-90 fps. I have attached a couple of pics to show why I went back to 45.23 driver.Cheers,Roger @YSSYPS. get another ( bigger ) hard disk. :-)

Guest tonyc

Incidentally,Roger, if you turn the AGP fast writes on, yoour fps will double. I am still trying to find out what causes the occasional CTD. This is, in my opinion, FLY2's achille's heel. I suspect that there's a driver out there that is more FLY2 friendly.tony

Guest Colins2

Hi Roger,Wonderful pictures :-)Colin

G'day Collin,Glad you like the pics. I only posted to show what I would have to give up if I went ahead and kept the 56.64 drivers. The jpg's really don't do justice to the Fly! II screens. You wouldn't by chance know if there is some way to control the intensity of the landing/taxi lights?? Every other light imagineable seems to have an intensity control in Fly.ini but I can't find a variable for the aircrafts lights. Are they in one of the aircraft files in the "world" directory??Good to see you still hanging around the forums. I have now retired and have a lot more time for my simming. :-)I'll always be forever in debt to you for Terrashape.Cheers,Roger @YSSY