Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Does anyone have 10miles runway settings?

Guest tonyc

Currently, FLY2 runways( in clear weather) become visible at 5.7 miles from airport. Does anyone have the FLY.ini set for 10 miles. If so, can you please share them? thanks.tony

G'day Tony,<...currently set at 5.7 nm. Is that a typo Tony? I am currently getting 7.5 nm. Don't ask me why as I can find nothing in Fly.ini to explain it. I very vaguely remember playing around with "distancehiding" variable but would have to go and experiment to check.7.5 Nm shown in bottom left corner in green.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Colins2

Hi Tony,I can't find anything particulary relevant in the fly.ini file.I can only suggest this key:runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxFeet=30380That's not exactly 5.7 miles but it's the only setting that comes close.It could also possibly be the high detail / med detail radius settings.All I can suggest is a bit of trial and error - you can't really hurt anything :-)CheersColin

Guest tonyc

No, Roger. It's not a typo. That's why I am looking at the fly.ini settings. The other night I was flying with the new, beta Squawk Box and ATC asked me to make a VFR approach. At 10 miles he asked me if I could see the runway, and I said no. At 6 miles, he asked to go around for an IFR approach. When I landed, I looked at the distances more carefully and realized that beyond 5.7 I cannot see the runway. What is your distance for runway lights at night?tony

G'day Tony,Runway centre line lights visible at 7.5 Nm High intensity approach lighting visible at 6.8 Nm.Some 30 odd years ago I was in the jump seat of a 707 on a test flight after some pretty heavy maintenance and as we lined up for the landing the capt. turned his head and said " there's the runway directly ahead". Whoa! who turned off the mip mapping :-lol I scaned the visible horizon but damned if I could see an airport, let alone a runway (and this was on a beautiful clear day) After what seemed like an eternity ( was probably only a minute or two) I finally managed to see the airport and runway. But, I was still having trouble in my own mind trying to determine whether we were actuallly lined up with the runway.I am quite happy with the above settings. Maybe asking for 10 Nm is a bit too much?? Note: I'm not a pilotPlay around with your hires and mediumres radius settings.I'm using 4 and 9 respectively.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Tony,Really weird!!!Now I'm getting 9.5 Nm and I haven't played around with any FlY.ini settings. Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

Roger, can we agree to pick a "location" to test this? I am intrigued.tony

G'day Tony,Fine with me. I think KSFO 28R would be the logical choice as it is an original Fly! II airport.For a while I thought it was the zoom factor causing the differences. I also got variations with different aircraft? Is it possible that the card/driver could have any effect??All my previous posts were for YSSY 07 but as that is a customised airport it's no good for testing purposes.Anyway from now on all my posts will refer to KSFO 28R approach.cheers,Roger @YSSYCheers,

Guest tonyc

Ok. soon I will post a pic with the milage for this runway.tony

G'day Tony,The dme ground station is positioned about 0.4 nm off the end of runway 28R. (at least on my installation of Fly!II- not sure if this is correct or not)This gives a DME reading of 2.1 NM from the start of 28R.For runway 19 the DME reading is 1.6 from the start of the runway.They appear to be sharing the same dme transmitter.This could explain why the runways appear at different DME's although they appear at the same aircraft distance to airport. IE the DME ground station is not at the centre of the airport!You will notice also that the GPS distance is different to the DME distance. The GPS appears to be using the position of the KSFO VOR transmitter as its reference.On approach to 28R as soon as the runways were visible the dme was reading 8.6 nm.On approach to 10L as soon as the runways were visible the dme was reading 6.6 nm.One other thing not yet tested. DME is the SLOPE distance NOT the HORIZONTAL distance. How's your trigonometry? If an aicraft was horizontally 1 nm from the transmitter and at 6080 ft (1 nm) then the DME would be reading 1.4142 nm.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Tony,What the heck am I saying!!! must be having a senior moment :-)>They appear to be sharing the same dme transmitter.NO NO NO! 19L/01R has the DME transmitter at the 01R end of the runway, but it doesn't make any difference to my argument. When approaching and the runways flash into view you will get a different DME reading depending on your approach course. 28R/10L that difference is 2.1 Nm. In the attached pic (runway 01R) DME is 0.0 nm whilst the GPS is reading 0.9 nmThe origin for the GPS is selectable APT VOR NDB.(airport selected; changing to VOR makes no difference to the GPS distance reading of 0.9 nm ) You can just make out the VOR station in the distance. Cheers,Roger @YSSY