Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

AIRCRAFT LIGHTING........Please help!!

Hi Everyone,I need your help please!! .........does anyone happen to know the location of these aircraft landing lights and when and how they operate?1) FLOOD Lights: a) There position on the aircraft? :( What they are used for?1) LANDING Lights: a) What do these mean exactly:- RET (I think this stands for RETRACT) EXT (I think this stands for EXTEND) OFF (Obviously Lights OFF) EXT ON (I think this stands for EXTEND ON):( Where the lights are position exactly on the aircraft, when the switch is in each of these positions? c) The circumstances they would be selected for use? (eg. Which switch position would be selected for landing) If anyone can shed any LIGHT on the matter (sorry could'nt resist than pun) I'd really appreciate it. Many Thanks Guys John

G'day John,>1) FLOOD Lights: >>a) There position on the aircraft? >:( What they are used for?Floodlights are used for lighting of specific areas. Eg the Pilots main instrument panel is floodlit by a white fluorescent tube hidden up under the glare shield. Ditto for the copilot. This gives a nice indirect lighting to the panels. The instruments/panels of course have their own specific lighting.The centre pedestal is floodlit by either a white or red light shining down through cut-outs in the overhead panel.White and red dome lights are used for general purpose cockpit lighting. >1) LANDING Lights: >>a) What do these mean exactly:->> RET (I think this stands for RETRACT)> EXT (I think this stands for EXTEND)> OFF (Obviously Lights OFF)> EXT ON (I think this stands for EXTEND ON)Yep!>>:( Where the lights are position exactly on the aircraft, > when the switch is in each of these positions?the landing lights retract (pivot backwards) so the the front glass is flush with the lower wing. The lights are on the lower wing surface out near the wingtips. >c) The circumstances they would be selected for use? (eg. Which switch position would be selected for landing) EXT ON They are used on approach as a visual cue for ATC. They will also assist in flaring > > If anyone can shed any LIGHT on the matter (sorry could'nt>resist than pun)> I'd really appreciate it.I have some documentation that I'll scan and zip an email to you.Cheers,Roger @YSSY > Many Thanks Guys> John

Thanks Roger.......How ya do'inFeel free to email me anything you feel relevant........because I'm a bit confused here??..In the RETRACT position the lights retract flush with the wing surface(I presume the lights cannot be illuminated??)andin the EXTEND position where they face front(The lights are still not illuminated??)So what exactly is the purpose of having the LIGHTS extended (position 2) but not switched on???Im I missing something here!!Many Thanks..................I really appreciate your helpJohn

>Thanks Roger.......How ya do'in>>Feel free to email me anything you feel>relevant........because I'm a bit confused here??..>>In the RETRACT position the lights retract flush with the wing>surface>(I presume the lights cannot be illuminated??)That's correct. If the lights were on (without the benefit of cooling airflow) whilst retracted they would overheat and burn out!!>in the EXTEND position where they face front>(The lights are still not illuminated??)Correct!What's wrong with this? Perfectly normal. Your car headlights face forwards but aren't illuminated all the time. :-)Just swith them on when you want them. In practice the pilot would normally use the EXT ON position during flight. At the end of the landing roll he could then switch the light off but still leave it extended for cooling during the taxi back to the apron area before retracting it.>So what exactly is the purpose of having the LIGHTS extended>(position 2) but not switched on???1. ... Cooling, cooling, cooling2. ... Maintenance/ground testing>Im I missing something here!!> What Boeing is doing is saving on switches. The single switch is used for two functions.extend / retract the landing lightswitch the light ON / OFFThe light can only be ON when the light is in the extended position.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day John,Please email merogermaz@idx.com.auI thought I had your email address but I haven't.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Thanks Roger..........its a good job some people know what their talking about.Sorry to bother you agian Mate, but I've a question regarding the FLOOD lights explaination.The Switch in question appears to be for some kind of external lighting i think, because the switch (labeling text) is as follows:FLOOD LGTSGRD (possibly GROUND)OFFONAny ideas????Thanks again Roger for all your invaluable help

Guest Ivor Bigne

Do you make something for ud John?you dig deep, is it a plane? Ivor

Hi Ivor,Thanks for the interest......................Its actually a PANEL I'm working on for a jet aircraft.RegardsJohn

G'day John,Before continuing I would just like to mention that there is also a FIXED landing light in the leading edge of the inboard wing. (at least on Boeings, don't know a thing about McDonell Douglas). >Sorry to bother you agian Mate, but I've a question regarding>the FLOOD lights explaination.>>The Switch in question appears to be for some kind of external>lighting i think, because the switch (labeling text) is as>follows:>>FLOOD LGTS>>GRD (possibly GROUND)>OFF>ONEverything I've said so far has referred to cockpit floodlights. Boeing don't use the term floodlights for any exterior lighting.I just took a look at the B717 O/H panel that I put into the "Hughes DC9" for Fly!II and sure enough there is a left and right "Ground Flood light". MD I'm just guessing here John but it looks like the MD aircraft have a general light for servicing/maintenance or even possibly the equivalent of a runway turn-off light? I'm sorry John this is all conjecture on my behalf. You need someone with intimate knowledge of the MD-83.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Thanks for that....RogerThe switch in question does have a LEFT and RIGHT bank labeled: FLOOD LTS L R GRD OFF ONI've really struggled to find good pics and information on this aircraft.........and theirs quite a few things I'm not to sure about. I know its quite similar to the DC9 Panel, but I'm trying to make this panel as complete as possible.I think I'll probably have to call it a day shortly. I'll probably let the guys view it and see if thay want me to release it.Thanks anyhow for all your guidanceCheers MateJohn