Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ivor Bigne

Cut/copy and paste.

Hi folks,Since a few years I am doing (re)-paints.As we all know there are various systems of repainting and each system has its own advantages.One system, the copy and paste method ,using photos from the real thing is used by most repainters.There is nothing wrong with that, but is has a terrible side-effect.Almost all planes repainted this way have dark or almost black belly`s.We see this on repaints for FLY and other simulations, like MSFS.All those pictures used are taken from the planes standing in daylight having a shadowy underside.Using these pictures give us planes in our simulator with darkfuselage-undersides.We all know that when there is a striping or texture going around the fuselage this color is prayed in the same color, top and bottom.When we make a steep turn with a plane , showing it`s bely in the sun there should not be any dark or shady parts.Removing the shades from the tif is`nt that complicated.Without shady bellies our planes and heli`s look much better.If any repainter has trouble doing the enlightening of these partsI am glad to help.Please do`nt be angry with me for saying this all.I have only the best intentions.RegardsLeen " Flybike " de Jager ( ROTW )

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest Jan

Hi Leen.I agree with you.Looks much better,but in this case you have to choose between two evils.A dark underside or a square tailboom.Because the real tailboom of a Dauphin is round,you might need the shadow to make it appear so.Not easy to do.Take careJanhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

I am sorry but I have another approach.In this case (pictures) the undersite is black.In the other picture the color is corrected , the black one does not look rounder.I prefer a flat bottom in the right color over an flat black bottom.There is nothing against some ( a little) shadow to simulate someroudings, but that`s not the kind of shade copied from pictures.Many planes have a round 3d model and still a black underside due to the shadow on the original pictures.In my opinion thats absulutely incorrect.RegardsLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Another example.This 3d model has a perfectly rouded body.Due to the shadow on the photos used for this modelthe underside looks as good as it could , it should be the same color as the top of the body.RegardsLeenhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79779.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79780.jpg

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

>>>>the underside looks as good as it could sorry this was a mistake.it should say "the underside looks NOT as good as it could"

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest Jan

Hi again Leen :) I agree again,and won't go into a debate with a Master Artist.You are right.But on the two pics of the tailboom.One with the natural shadow,and one painted(quickly) with the one color,I feel it's better when it appears rounded.And to me the side is more important than the underside.But with more experience,and it might be possible to get something in between.Take careJanhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Hei Jan,Now we are in one line.I actually did not paint.Just enlightened the black ( wich was in fact dark red)Red in the shade gets darker but remains red.This picture is from he same tif as my example.You can see the shade is preserved and the underside is red.It`s just a matter of Pait Shop Pro magic.I used the same trick on the Jumbo.It`s all creamy white now but still has shady effects.RegardsLeenhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79793.jpg

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest Ivor Bigne

Leens, I have no ideas what blabbing on about and why, each people have own methods sure. Dont think I dont know as I used Paintshop for number of years in design. but nI thinks coments are agragant to me. some are not sos addicted and have real life???My thoughts sorry I had to say it. You talk like you have orthorty. as I master over Photoshop and earn money with it in buisnes I dont treat others as poo poo. Dont speek to us like this is how it should be. what going on here guys, very bad feeling about to many chievs.now I go to find Jeff, he very upset with some of you.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Ivor,I think Leen is just stating a fact about what he considers to be the drawbacks of using actual photos on repaints. In my opinion, he is just offering a solution for those who have encountered this problem and didn't know how to fix it.While some people may not care about the problem that Leen describes and may actually like it, it is clear that Leen does not, and he is just suggesting a way to solve it. That is his opinion and you may or may not agree with it, but you've got to respect his opinion, as I and everyone else respects yours.I really don't see the authoritarian tone that you do, but that's just me. For some reason you seem to be overly sensitive lately. I think that your comment about addiction and having a real life was unnecessary and pretty rude.Please, don't start a fight here, that's the last thing that this community needs.Respectfully,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Fly II Pilot

Ivor,I just spoke with Jeff. He is OK but very busy and hasn't had time to access the Internet. He can receive e-mails and Yahoo Messenger messages on his phone but, as you can imagine, it's pretty tedious to type a reply in a phone.Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg