Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

EFIS display question!

Hi Guys,Does anyone know where the button or switch is generally located that changes the EFIS displays on a modern jet aircraft.also................Can someone please explain what the decision height is used for???I'm sorry if these question are a bit obvious to you flyers, but I'm just learning about aircraft systems.Any help would be really appreciated.CheersJohn

Guest CaptainJ

Hi John,The EFIS control panels are located next to the autopilot panel, for F/O on the right side and the captain on the left side of it.Decision hight is used for a reference altitude where you decide to continue to land or to make a go-around, the decision height depends on a lott of things e.a. lenght of runway, weather etc.feel free to post I'll be glad to help Take care,

Guest tonyc

John,I don't remember about the EFIS switch, but as for the decision height...it's simple. Every airport has minimum IFR landing visibility and altitude heights for IFR landings. This is closely tied to the type of navigational equipment that both the airport and the aircraft have. The decision height is simply an alert signal you set when the weather is very poor and, if that height is reached, you need to execute a missed approach. So, it's simply a warning sound to tell you that you either see the runway or go around. The approach charts list the different altitude minimums. Look for CAT1, 2, 3 heights. tony

Hi Jarno,Thanks for that info............I'll see if I can find somemore information on the EFIS systems.Do you know if theres........ an Audioable sound that warns you when you are approaching you're choosen height or does a light annunciator illuminate??I will have quite a lot of questions.............so I really do appreciate any help.Thanks AgainJohn

Guest tonyc

It's an audible sound..., and a visual if there's a spy light on the panel as well.tony

Hi Tony............how ya do'inSuperb explanation...........Ive noticed a Label/plaque on some of the instrument panels Ive viewed saying CAT 1, is this what your refering to??RegardsJohn

Thanks Tony........boy you responded quick!!Ive only just finished typing you a reply!!......................thanks again though, Tony, I do appreciate your help and knowledge.Cheers John