Sign in to follow this  

UK Airports Sceeneries

OK, I need an honest opinion - Barry Perfect's GB Airports or Gary Summons UK2000 (or is it UK2002?). The reason is that I've seen GB Airports in my local EB/Game stores, so I was wondering which is better in terms of things like detail, accuracy, frame rates etc.Thanks!Dave.

Guest Toni Rauch

Barry's are sort of O.K. but Gary Summons scenery is outstanding. Much more detail and 'feeling' than Barry's (I.M.H.O.)

Guest Boogie

Dear Dave,I recently had the same problem. I actually bought GB Airports from EB, but returned it after comparing it with UK2000 (which you can try before you buy). I have since bought UK2000 Part 3 and not regretted it. My main problem with GB Airports (apart from it not including any smaller airfields) was the bright grass colour, which does not fit in with the scenery textures of FS2002, and makes the airfields 'stick out like a sore thumb'. Otherwise, there is generally a little more detail in the UK2000 airports, and I didn't notice much difference in frame rates (you still get quite a lot of slowdown at the larger airports with both products, and I have a P4 1.9, with 512 megs ram). Some GB Airports do include a little 'extra' scenery nearby (e.g the Forth Rail Bridge) which is nice, and UK2000 does not yet cover the whole country.The other way that I recently improved the Uk in FS2002 was to buy the mesh from Visual Flight, although 'flat' areas such as SE England will still be pretty flat. You can try a demo at their web site: http://www.visualflight.co.uk/uk-ie/index.htm.Hope this helps.Boogie.

Guys,Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. It looks, on balance, as if most people seem to prefer the UK2000 option. Does anyone know if the UK2000 sets released so far cover Henlow in Bedfordshire? My girlfriend recently bought me a trial flying lesson, and I'll be flying from there, so it would be kind of cool to see a decent FS versdion of it as well as the real one :-).Regards,Dave.

Guest dek

Buy neither, spend your money on your girlfriend. dek

I already did - that's why she bought me the flying lesson :-).Dave.

Dave,Small world. I grew up in Henlow when my old man was stationed there. I'm now just up the road at Cardington :)Gary as yet hasn't done Henlow but I think it's included in Part 5 (scheduled for later this year) along with Old Warden where I spent most of my teenage years.

Dean,Cardington, eh? Isn't that where those massive airship hangars are?Well, no one in my family has worked at Henlow, but I know many people who have. I work in radiocommunications, so many of my colleagues spent time at RAFSEE (is that how you spell it?), which I believe used to be part of RAF Henlow.Dave.