Sign in to follow this  
MartijnPleines

What does Reality XP do for a Simmer?

Reality XP site is down and I've always been curious what the XP package is supposed to do. And... Will I take a framerate hit when I use it?

Reality xp is basically the radio/gps stack offered by UPS aviation (formally apollo).You can see and even download the real manuals here:http://www.upsat.com/gen_home.shtmlThe beauty for simming, is this is one of the first, real life realisitc instruments for the ms series. Most of the instruments ms uses are generic, and often non realitic/non functional. With the 1.1 release due out any day, the reality xp simulates practically every feature of this package-which by the way is about a $12,000-15,000 real item to add to your aircraft.The usefulness for real flying (I just started using an aircraft equiped with this gps) is that you can practice at home and save valuable time.The beauty in the sim are the addition of airspace displays and alarms(1.1), autotuning of the frequencies in the comm from the gps, user waypoints, and hundreds of features too numerous to mention here.For me-MS has reached the point where the outside version of the aircraft looks nearly photo real, the world scenery likewise. The cockpit instumentation has frankly not kept up-probably due to the difficulty of doing even a single instrument with reality-reality xp addresses this.As for frame rates-I have noticed no change on an athlon 1.4Hope that answer somewhat your question.Geof

Cavemen, as Geof said these avionics really add a lot of funcionality to any panel, during install you are given the option to add them to default FS aircraft, and they come with instructions on how to incorporate them in your own panels.I considered them real value for money when I first purchased them, and that was before all the 1.1 enhancements were announced!However, I do not know if they are available from another source (AVSIM store perhaps?) than their own site, and that has been having problems lately.These gauges are well worth the effort and money, though!Geof, do you know what's up (or should I say what's down) with the Reality XP website? Are they switching providers/servers or something? Their site was down for a couple of days last week, came back up for a couple of days and is down again now.Also, do you happen to know if they are working on the MX 20 too?Having fun with the Deb-Thanks! Real thrill to look at the FS world over the same panel that is so familiar from your own real-world photo's!

I think the company that provides the web site has just been having troubles-it was up briefly yesterday and I am sure they will get them sorted out.I would love an mx20 which in my opinion is the best multi function display out there-I have no information however if reality xp is involved or considering one.Its a thrill too for me to see my plane flying all over the world!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Thanks for taking the time to explain... Are there other "instruments made by reality-XP aside from the gps/radio stack? Also, how does the radio stack integrate into the default planes (and also add-ons like the B33) Does it just "float out in space above the other instruments or does it become a part of the VC?Also, I assume that although the reality XP radio stack is paterned after the real version in the link you gave, I assume all this type of equipment is similar in the "real world" and not too brand specific?Finally, about how much does the package cost?

$34.95 (USD)As far as I know, the gps/radio stack is the only package they're selling right now, for other instruments they have produced I refer you to Geof Applegate who posted in this same thread-some of the other instruments in his Debonair panel, including the AP, are by Reality XP.Mind you, to avoid some confusion perhaps, from the stack in the UPS Aviation site, 'only' the audio selector panel, the GPS, the transponder and the nav/comm unit are included, not that mx-20 multi-function display!It is true that the stack instruments come in seperate windows although with a bit of work they can be incorporated into the panel itself. Having enough panel real-estate will often be a problem though. Putting it in a VC would be a bit more difficult, since you cannot use a tool like FS Panel Studio, but I'm sure it can be done-I am currently trying this out for myself in the Cessna 182 S.When the Reality XP site's back up, you might want to download the manual before buying just to see what it's all about. If you want to start using this stuff, you're going to have to read it anyway! Again, if you're interested in navigation at all it's worth the effort and expense.