Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

Is there a case for an improved autogen?

Guest laurentC

Steve,Let me know, if you have a set of simple 3d objects to test ... I will try to prepare a dll to test the ideas.Cheers,Laurent

Guest laurentC

Good !Those building will be right for the tests : can you prepare now a grey "cube" for the far view (uh ! Five poly ? Without the ground one ?) and one I forgotten previously ... the night texture ?CheersLaurent

Guest chezz

Hello folks,I have nothing to offer in this exciting project for FLY2, perhaps after FLYing SENECA V (this aircraft is a joy to fly) which I don't know when,I hope I can contribute something.In the meantime I just want to thank you guys for your projects and to be a moral support for what you're doing to make this wonderful flightsim enjoyable.Cheers.chris_CA

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi LaurentC (.. and Tony and all other interested),late but hopefully not too late I want to share this discussion.I did not know about ScenGen and did some tests actually. I think it would be a good base for further development as- Ken might be so kind to give you the source-code for further improvements- ScenGen has some basic scripting abilities- at least with my PC (AMD Barton 2500, 128 MB video RAM) there is no relevant stuttering with the basic objects (max alt 4000, 100%))Adding to the already discussed problems (more fluendly, more objects, no objects in water areas) I would like the "new ScenGen" to put objects into custom texture, ie. satellite or aerial photo derived textures. This is impossible with ScenGen, as (so I do understand it) ScenGen gets the texture-number actually used via FLY's API. If you use another than generic textures FLY won't report a special number, so ScenGen cannot work.Is it possible to "register" user textures, so that the NEW ScenGen could be configured for those? Or if not possible, could the NEW ScenGen read some sort of config-file for user textures(..from the special DATA folder for that region, if made by a scenery-designer)?This could be a big step forward for all satellite texture areas - and isn't it the same problem with TerraScene generated areas?Anyway, thank you for your work for a better ScenGen!Georg "HeliFLYer" EDDWBTW:I did not STOP only PAUSE my work with Landsat7 texture for FLY! due to a unforseeable heavy workload at the job AND technical problems with fitting very big pics (though WSG84 have to be corrected a little for FLY otherwise airports do not fit sufficient). But I am working on it and "boosting" the low-res textures with AUTOGEN would be great.Here you find some samples of the actual work:http://www.nord-com.net/vollnhals-bremen/FLY-LS7

Guest Steve Brown

Sorry Laurent, did you need them down to 5 poly?Email me at wasp@brown8506.freeserve.co.uk and I will send you the models I have. I didnt make anything today as we are having our walls plastered. But I have grouped together textures I can use and I will also just do greys for you of the ones I have made in a day or so. I still have all the files stored in 3ds max! I havent made night textures as yet, I like to do them later after I have done a number of models. Then I just sink my teeth into the night textures :-lol SteveMy Websitehttp://www.wrexhamspace.orghttp://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ysomdesign/banner.jpg

Guest laurentC

Hi Steeve, Georg "HeliFLYer" EDDWI call you today ... The autogen with user sceneries in more complicated than a mere distribution of 3d objetct over general textures. If we prepare something for the 3d objects placement too accurate we've got again the Fly! scenery editor ... I don't say that can't be done : I just think that is a real big challange that I hardly cannot reasonably manage for the moment ... especially without any good vision of what we can make up yet with a new gentex autogen ... does it make sens ?Cheers,Laurent

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi LaurentC,thanks for your reply. I read you "The autogen with user sceneries * IS * more complicated .." and I agree fully. It wasn't meant to put a heavy workload on your shoulders especially as you have given so many wonderful tools to us the last time (.. I LOVE the combination of ROTW ND and Seneca V!).All you will and can do to improve autogen (ScenGen)is ok and very wellcome. And you are right - if one creates a fotorealistic scenery it is not such a big thing to use the FLY! editor and put some objects in there - I'll do so and hope that Steve will create a lot of new objects!Thank you for all your work and creativity!Best regardsGeorg "HeliFLYer" EDDW

Guest Steve Brown

Yes, lots of new objects are coming ;-) Nothing fantastic though as Im still a newbee and lots to learn and little time to do it. In the next few days I will send you some objects to test Georg :-) Laurent, I have made a few objects like those in FS9 very simple buildings with grey textures for the far off views, I just have to do the night textures now and I will send them to you tomorrow. So you will have 3 versions of each model...1 far off grey version2 day texture3 night textureI will send you about 10 models to try for now.Oh, I got your email, thankyou. :-) Im sure everyone knows this is a very hard thing to do, but if nothing comes from it in a Quick Gen Format, we will still have a lot of low poly buildings from me in the near future. I can understand too how hard it would be for you to make this work on photorealistic scenery. Im enjoying the idea of this new project...Cheers my friends, SteveMy Websitehttp://www.wrexhamspace.orghttp://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ysomdesign/banner.jpg

Guest HeliFLYer

Thank you Steve,luckily the next weekend is one of the rare sort without having to stay on the job! Looking forward to fire FLY! and have some fun with testing the new objects. And will have a look for some other pics for you then, ie. generic objects (not looking TOO German..).Cheers, my friendGeorg

Guest laurentC

Hi all,I've got Steve's objects : now I need +/- a couple of w-e to prepare something for tests.Cheers,laurentC

Guest Ken_Salter

Howdy guys!I would be happy to provide the source code for ScenGen. I will dig it up and package it and upload to AVSim.com.I'll let you know when I have it up.

Guest laurentC

Thanks ! Really very nice of you.laurent

Thank you, Ken! It would certainly be an immense help! Greatly appreciated!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster