Sign in to follow this  

Major Problems Please Help!!!

Hi,I have just built a PC but I have MAJOR problems, could someone please help!my spec is: AMD Athlon 1700XP 1.47Ghz processorI have an Asus A7N266-C motherboard with that came with an ACR A6CH ACR card (sound card) and a GeForce2 Mx400 64Mb graphics card. The installation of the graphic card went fine, drivers and all. When I came to install the soundcard drivers I had real problems. Anyway I installed the first driver and I had sound but whenever I went into a graphics program or game it worked initialy and then when I exited the screen went beserk and my system crashed. I installed the second sound card driver, the sound completly shut off and I can use some of the graphics programs and games but not all. FS2002 is the worst, it either crashes right away, in the middle of playing or when I exit. The screen resises, goes blurred and rolls. I have been to both Nvidia website and Asus. I have had no reply. I have emailed technical support at my retailer THREE times, no reply.I have been on the phone twice-both times they said theyd email me a manual, they didn't. Please please could someone with a little knowledge helpme out here, I am REALLY getting fraustrated.ANY help would be much appreciated, thankyouRic

Warning - amateur advice coming at ya! I don't know a thing about the hardware, and you don't tell us your operating system.But, please confirm - you are installing sound card drivers manually, one at a time - how come? Does your sound card not come with a CD_ROm and a self extracting setup.exe file?How do you know where to install the sound card drivers?Are you sure you have installed them all to the correct system folders?Do you have your sound card installed in the PCI slot recommended by the sound card manufacturer? Farthest possible away from your graphics card is usally recommended.Can you check to see if your sound card and the graphics card are sharing the same Interupt Request Line - in Windows 98 I go to Start/Accessories/System Information/mardware resources/conflicts sharing.If there is a conflict can you move your sound card to the next PCI slot?No disrespect to the experts here, but if no one here can help - may I recommend www.sysopt.com - the regulars there are a knowledgeable bunch , and try very hard to solve problems.Good Luck,PH

sorry...edit...that should read:Start/Programs/Accessories/System Information/System Tools/hardware resources/conflicts sharingPH

I thought I'd do a "Google" search on ACR A6CH -- and found lots of information about your motherboard. For information of any other responders this sound card is not what I'd call a sound card as it is a part of the motherboard. They call it "Advanced Communications Rise" slot on the mb. You can download the mb manual in pdf format from www.asus.com/pub. The real address is too long to put here but I think you will find it ok if you look around at the web site as I did find it. Instant information for you. I have had two mb with onboard sound and I have disabled them as I prefer a real seperate card. If nothing else works out disable sound in the bios and put in a cheap Soundblaster and see what happens. If it works and still problems then probable that video card is at fault.Cliff

I agree with this solution. Disable onboard. Add a good SB Live Value. No money for that? Add a Creative SB 16 PCI. I do this a lot when I build, or have built them.

Thanks I will format my HDD to get rid of everything then load the drivers for the Graphics card and FS2002 run it and see what happens without the ACR card installed. Then I'll get a soundblaster card if it is the ACR causing a fault!BTW I cannot find the manaul on ASUS website? I have looked at my motherboards section and went to mu motherboards manual downloads page and it said 'no files listed' were did you find it?Ric

>BTW I cannot find the manaul on ASUS website? I have looked >at my motherboards section and went to mu motherboards >manual downloads page and it said 'no files listed' were did >you find it? Ric, Here it is. I agree that Asus web site is very difficult to find anything but this is what came up with Google search. Sorry it is so long but this is it. The PDF file manual is there. Good Luckhttp://www.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/socka/nfor...a7n266c-101.pdf