Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurentC

Runcorn/Widnes Bridge Test

G'day Steve,Looks great! Are the arches textured both sides so you can see the bridge from the other side.? How many polys does it take to produce this effect? I made a crude harbour bridge for Sydney and it took thousands of polys!!! The possibilities for this approach are endless. ( and a far more ecconomical use of poly's ) Cheers,Roger

Guest Fly II Pilot

Steve,Great job! I've been thinking about this technique for quite a while. I first noticed its potential in PMDG's Greek airports. It's a very efficient way to create complex objects such as towers, monuments, bridges, and other structures.The only potential problem is that of the (well known) transparency (like when several trees are together. Since this only happens with the sky (I think), it wouldn't be a problem when looking at it from above.Looking forward to more bridges in Fly!...Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Steve Brown

Hi RogerYes the bridge is textured inside and out, the poly count is a massive 8 for the whole bridge. :-) The 2 pictures above are of both sides of the bridge. The only problem I see is, from far off its a little fuzzy.Stevehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94923.jpg

Guest Steve Brown

Hi AlexYes I remember a chat we had about this ages ago, sadly its taken months for me to learn the way of doing it.Then how to make it look good enough with the texture afterwards and do the magic with photoshop.All the best, Steve.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94923.jpg

Guest laurentC

Hi Steve,You are becoming a technique guru : bravo !I think this way is the only one that can optimize our fps and give us a large amount of objects for generic scenes (not detailed scenes) : I mean, 3D objects are nice but to appreacite them you need to stay close for a while ... that is a position hardly compatible with planes ... much better with heli or ... trains ! But even TrainZ got this trick : cars are quite often boxes with only 4 sides ( up, front, right, left) because, following the tracks, these are the only sides one can actually see. With planes we can do the same thing and rotate the object (in far distance) according to the plane point of view :that's quite easy to do ... and it's already in the dll.Cheers,Laurent (rotw)