Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Canada ILS Localizer frequencies

Guest 3cffts

The Canadian Localizer frequencies that were with Fly 2K do not appear to be installed in Fly II. I have downloaded file ilscan3.zip and extracted the files into FlyII/Database directory and have Fly.ini "SearchPodFilesFirst=0". The localizer freqs do not appear when I bring up the airport info screen. Am I doing something wrong here? .... or does that zip file not work with patch 240?

Fly!1 databases are different from Fly!2 databases - they are not directly compatible. The unfortunate thing in this case is the author didn't make DEX files to allow importation of the updates. Instead, he inserted them into the existing Fly!1 ILS DB files with the intent of over-riding the fly!1 ILS pod. If he had made the DEX file, the DEX could be converted with DexImport to Fly!2 standards and imported into the ILS.POD.It's possible that I could search through his ILS.DBD file for all of the Canadian entries, then export only those entries as a new DEX file for Fly!2 - it matters on whether he used the IDs in a manner that would allow me to search them quickly, if not, I wouldn't have time with my current schedule to attempt to single them out from the entire database.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Is there a program that I could use to read the ILS.DBD file and try exporting information to a DEX file? I tried using wordpad but that shows all the machine language and I could only pick out a few identifiers.Also, is there a manual on exporting to a DEX file, i.e. how to do this conversion?Brian.

Brian,Open the DBD in Vol!Edit. You'll be able to see all entries. The next thing would be to somehow locate all entries for Canada - this may not be difficult if the author used appropriate IDs that identified the entries as Canadian.If you can find them all, and, more importantly, if they are all in a contigious group, then simply select all of those entries and save them as a custom DBD file. Then, open that file in Vol!Edit and export all of them as a DEX.Copy or move that DEX file from the Data directory into the Fly!II root directory. Then, Run Frank Racis' latest version of DexImport on that file in Fly1 Compatiblity Mode. This will set the correct size for use in Fly!II.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall, I have sorted out the Canadain ILS entries, put them in a DEX file and tried DexImport with no success. I don't understand how Fly! interprets this data or how DexImport inserts new data into POD files. However, to my unitiated eye it seems that the data in ILScan3.zip and my Dex file is incomplete for entry into a POD without using additional programming. For one thing the ILS Keys need to be prefixed by "3E9D" and the airport keys prefixed by "CA50". I could do this but even then the remaining data seems incomplete. I will try to attach a sample (airport CYYZ) which is a copy of the .csv version of the .DBD file.I also converted old Fly!2K ILS data to Fly!II (a sample for CYYZ Rwy 33) and it worked, except that the glidepath touchdown point was at the tower in the centre of the airfield and maybe the localizer was not exactly aligned with runway heading. If all localizers are like that it would be a big job to update lat & long figures.Thanks, Brian.

Brian,In previous years I put in a lot of time putting in missing NAV and approach components for Fly!1. After Fly!2 came out, I transitioned over and began doing the same thing with Fly!2. (I have about 60 updates for navigation and approaches I hope to have out before Christmas).Now, never having attempted to transition old DEXs for new, I simply started from scratch with Fly!2 DB editing. Frank later came out with improvements to DexImport which supposedly compensated for the DB variations and allowed old DEXs to be converted for use with Fly!2. I know some people have had success with this.You say that the ILS and Airport keys need to be prefixed with specific characters. This isn't quite the case:1. The airport keys must be an exact match to the airport keys in Fly!2. Now, if that means that all of the airport fields in the ILScan3.dbd had different names (which doesn't make sense), then yes, all of the airport fields would have to be updated to match.2. ILS keys can be anything. However, some of us have tried to establish new protocols for creating unique identifiers so that when one person's data is imported over another, conflicts aren't created.I'll be happy to take a look in the old DBD and play with it over the next couple of days. I'll see if I have any success with the import. Please post (or send me) your email address - I'll be happy to send you a DEX to try after I work with this a little bit. My address: capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall,I found that Vol!edit and DexImport work well! I have corrected all the Canadian ILS touchdowns so that they all land on the runways ... and not in the infield! I do have a probem with Toronto Intl. (CYYZ) runways 33L and 15R. The ILS is really mixed up. When I tune the ILS for 33L I get the idents for 15R and the on course does not make sense. It is one of these runways that uses the same freq for both ends. As far as I can see all entries in the ILS.pod seem o.k.I am attaching a DEX file that will update the ILS.pod for touchdowns in Canada.... wouldn't want you to crash here!Brian

Brian,I see you've made a lot of progress! Rather than me try to convert the TXT files you've linked here, why don't you just send the actual DEX file to my email address? Thanks!!As far as CYYZ is concerned, opposing approaches that use the same freqs. can cause a lot of problems in Fly!II. Sometimes they can be fixed or adjusted - sometimes not. I'll be happy to look in your DEX and see if there are some surface items that can be adjusted. If not, you need to be certain to not tune the localizer until you are positioned on that side of the runway. Once you are on the proper approach side, tune the localizer...Fly!II will usually recognize the approach you're using and will give you the proper ident and localizer.

Randall Rocke