Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Fly! II - Runways in the water!

Guest 3cffts

I find that three Canadian airports have runways that are in the water (CYTZ, CYTR, and CYGK). I there any update around that I have missed that will correct for this. I have the GlobeUpdate installed.If there are no updates, how can I best correct this error?

Guest Colins2

Hi,There are quite a few airports around the world where the runways are in the water. There are various reasond for this like reclaimed land etc. that isn't / wasn't in the GSHHS database when Fly!2's coastlines were first created.I don't know of any updates to cure this but I do know how to fix it.I took a look at the 3 you mention above.You can fix the visuals by generating TerraScenery for these tiles with an accurate coastline. This won't, however, necessarily fix the taxiways sinking. GroundTile Transform by Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold will probably help here.You can also edit the coastline files if you can use a CAD program.This process is (fairly) straightforward but very time consuming.The only program I know of to help you is TerraShape that I wrote some time back. This will extract the coastline file and let you edit it in a CAD program. Then it will convert your edited file back to Fly! format.TerraShape is on my hangar site.Good luckColinMy Hangar Site

Guest 3cffts

Colin, I have TurboCad 6.5. Do you think that the .dwg files it produces will allow me to redraw the shoreline?Thanks for your help.Brian.

Guest Colins2

Brian,You don't need any propriatory binary files.TerraShape works with dxf files.It was tested with Turbo-Cad and worked OK.It translates the GTP files that Fly! uses into dxf and/or shape files.You can then edit the dxf files.Please make sure to read the read.me file(s) because the GTP format is very picky and they have to be right.Any problems, drop me a line.Colin

Guest 3cffts

Colin, Many thanks for the info. I think I might look into the possibility of using Terrascene first. If that does not work out I will then have a try at TerraShape. This is all new stuff to me so it will likely take a while to figure it out. Have to get another project here out of the way first.Thanks, Brian.