Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Electra models is almost complete :-) pic

Guest tonyc

Clearly, the reason for taking such a long time for my first full model is that 3d max is a program that requires a great deal of patience and work. FLY2 also has its challenges. But I can say that once the first model is completed, the feeling of satisfaction is wonderful. I've learned so much , and this will make the next model easier and faster to develop.I consider this an Alpha release, in that the panel will be taken from an existing FLY2 panel, but with some changes so as to create the illusion of a different panel. This, I hope, will change in the beta version.These projects simply require a lot of time as well as the help of so many woderful FLYers out there, without whom I'd be stuck.There's a need for a tutorial that adds a few trick of the trade, ie., texturing and model making. The good news is that the model is a dfx model imported into 3d max studio. It would be creat also, as some have wished, to see a plug in for 3d max, the free version. This , I believe would attract many other designers who simply cannot afford the steep price of 3d max. There are still a few more things to do to the model( I can't seem to render the antenna wires), but the good news is that the flight model has been tweaked and works pretty well. The reason for the release is to give some of you a chance to repaint it and provide some feed back. It's lonely working alone. I know I could have asked the help of many of you out there, but the challenge was to do the project alone, despite its quality not being to the level of a ROTW or FDS2. tony

Guest Fly II Pilot

Tony,Congratulations on your new baby! ;-)It's amazing what the human brain can do... and it's all a matter of trying. Two years ago the aircraft files meant to me as much as a text written in Russian. In fact, I think I might have been able to pick one or two words here and there, in the text...While far from being an expert, I now understand quite a bit, but I'm constantly learning more. I owe this to Jarno and Jan who once asked me a question about the landing gear for an S-76... Since then, it has been a lot of reading but a lot more of trial and error... I've gotten so used to the trial and error that I think I enjoy that even more than Fly!ing... ;-)So, don't worry too much about whether it looks this way or the other way right now. It's a steep learning curve and what you've done is a hell of an accomplishment. In fact, it's still beyond my understanding (from a patience standpoint), how you can create an aircraft from a cube... or a sphere ;-)Again, congratulations. Looking forward to taking the baby up for a ride...Regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest chezz

Tony,Thanks for this new addition to the FLY2 aircafts. Creating aircraft for fly and doing sceneries is also my dream which I hope one day I can start. I remember when still time permit I was able to do repaints for p51 and stearman but school and work has taken most of my time. Just like steve and other contibutors and developers to FLY2, you have made this sim more challenging, enjoyable and fun to use. Keep up the good work.chris_CA

Guest lucizeta

Fantastic!Many thanks Tony for this new aircraft!Luciano - LIME

Guest laurentC

Great Tony,Hope you continue this way ... offering us a lot of good stuff !Congratulations,laurent

Guest danieletona

Very beautiful!!!Compliments for your great production.Thanks Tony.Dan

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Tony,for all those "common FLY! users" like me who could not contribute anything until now I want to congratulate you for reaching your first goal and thank you for giving us this new aircraft.Would be nice to get some (simple) doc of "the numbers" together with it to FLY! this wonderful old plane the right way.RegardsGeorg EDDW

Guest tonyc

thanks for the praises, gentlemen. It feels good to see the responses. Unlike such aircrafts as the DC3, the Electra was a more difficult model to do because documentation and photos are scarse. I was hoping to use some real cockpit photos, but could find none. As for the numbers, one thing I am proud of is the flight model. This plane has a heavy feel, which means that it will not take off under established takeoff speed; it will not land without some engine power, and the yoke needs a good amount of trim to make the plane fly. This was intentional in order to simulate the fact that this airplane is a heavy airplane to fly and control according to several pilot reports. Stalls are violent, so if you don't have the airspeed and the altitude, watch out. But once trimmed , the airplane is a beauty to fly. The landing is very challenging: I've flown taildraggers and, unless the rudder is engaged with both feet at all times during taxiing and takeoff, the plane will get away from you. This is simulated very well. So, all in all, the plane will be a good model for some of you to fly--very different from ROTW's Staggerwing.tony