Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

Program for smoothening Shapefiles finished (beta)

HiI have written a little C-program which can smoothen polyline-shapefiles (Shapetype 3)like roads and railways from DCW (digital chart of the world)-shapefiles using the Bezier algorithm on all angels greater then 10 degrees.You can apply this program several times to enhance smoothness.In the appendix you see a Screenshot of the DCW-RRLINE-Shapefile and the result after 1 (RRLINE2), 2 (RRLINE3) and 3 (RRLINE4) passes.It's still a beta with nearly no errorhandling included.I ask if somebody is interested in this program and maybe the source-code.I'ts my first C-Program so I am sure it can be improved.Harald

G'day Harald, Great little utility that I could sure put to good use. I have Terrascened Sydney using all shapefiles and have a lot of rivers (orange-brown in the pic) that would benefit from such a program. I started trying to give better resolution by hand but only did the rivers very close to Sydney. There are over 150,000 vertices in the pic - every one done by hand clicking the mouse.!Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest HeliFLYer

Congrats Harald,big improvement, nice tool!RegardsGeorg EDDW

Guest Colins2

Hi Harald,Superb :-)This will be a really useful utility for people making non-US scenery!It will be on my list when it's released.Colin

Guest Fly II Pilot

Harald,I agree! This will be extremely helpful to create some scenery for my beloved Argentina... Unfortunately there isn't much out there available for free so most likely I'll have to do a lot of manual work.Thanks!!!http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest flystudio3di

Hi Herald, it's very interesting your tool. Can you send me a copy of this nice program?flystudio3d@yahoo.itMany Thanks and congratulations for this interesting work.Giorgio Gnesda

Hi Alejandro!Few free available data are also the problem in Europe. So I am looking for some tools to speed things up. (like draw only a few points and let the computer do the rest, which was the intention for this tool)On the other hand with all the tricks from ROTW about processing the free Landsat7 ETM+ satelite images, maybe this is the much faster process to get sceneriesI have not decided yet Harald