Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Fly! II Attitude Indicator response

Guest 3cffts

Can someone tell me if it is just my machine or is it the way Fly! II happens to be ..... when I make gradual pitch changes the movement of the instrument panel against the horizon is very smooth and precise. However, my attitude indicator moves in small jerky increments of about 2-3 degrees. For flying a precise glide path it would be nice if the indicator movement was just a smooth as the horizon. Mostly I fly the Sahara or the Navajo. Does anyone else have the same problem ... can anything be done to correct this?

Guest Jan

Hi.It's not just your machine,mine too.But you might want to try something.If you are not familiar with panel editing it might sound difficult,but this is easy.Use the podview tool inside FlyIIs Tool folder.Find the Java in the aircraft folder,and open it.Somewhere down the list there is a file named TRI200.pnl.Mark it,and extract it to wherever you like.Then find it,open it with Wordpad,find the Attitude indicator(s),and change the entry for pixel per degree. Default is 0.6 I think.Make it 0.9.Save it,and place it in the Data folder within Fly.Check if that made any changes.Or try other values.Maybe our system designer,Alex,have a better solution.So longJanhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Guest 3cffts

Jan, I tried as you suggested and even went so far as 3.0 pixels/degree. It might be slightly more responsive but still has that 'sticky' movement, and jumps in about 2 degree increments. It is almost as if the msg that sends the actual airplane attitude is only sent to the attitude indicator when the attitude change exceeds 2 degrees. There seems to be a much more accurate following of altitude for example so it would seem reasonable to think that the attitude indicator could follow more accurately.I don't believe my frame rate is a problem. In solid cloud I get about 85 fps.Brian.

Guest Jan

Hi Brian.OK,at least it was tried.The horizon is a pbg file made up of 360 separate frames.And there will always be a "jump" when it changes from one frame to another.The only fluid,non screen horizon is the standby version in the Hawker.If you or anyone else is interested,I could make a customized panel of the Navajo,or other,with that horizon,and upload it to the F2FDesign website.So longJanEdit: made it,and took two screenshots,before and after.You will loose the outer index ring,and the horizon will always be ON.http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Guest Fly II Pilot

Jan,"You will loose the outer index ring"As you can see in this picture, the ball is contained within an outer ring so if you combine a regular horizon with just a modified version of the outer ring (no inside chart), the static template and the standby horizon, you'd get the closest thing to real-world.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/720124/L/In addition, we could add an animated winding up with a PBG that ends in a transparent frame.Regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Jan

Hi Alex.Thanks.Yes,I thought of using the original outer ring,but thought it would look weird if only that one started to wind up.But that could possibly be fixed with your other answer.I'll try with the ring first.JanEdit: There is something strange about the original horizon in the Navajo.There is no fixed index scale,just the one on the outer ring,and that one is moving.On the photo of the Concord's horizon,what appears as the outer ring is a fixed part of the instrument.The moving index mark is on the top of the ball.We have the same one in the Super Puma and the S61.So longhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Guest Fly II Pilot

Jan,That is correct, what I meant by a modified version is that you can turn the outer ring into that mark and then add a fixed template with the outside static marks. You'd also have to match the outer ring color to that of the ball and you'd have to make it much thinner, like in the Concorde picture. Unfortunately you can't just use the existing outer ring, however you can use the gauge with a modified outer ring.Regarding the winding up, I think it's possible to prevent that from happening altogether by having it always on (i.e., not dependent on the battery and or electrical system...Let me know if you need help.http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest 3cffts

It would be super if the index marks giving the angel of bank could be on the outer fixed part of the instrument. Along with this a vertical (up) mark on the outer ring that would be against the 5, 10 & 15 degree bank marks on the case would be excellent. I have flown a number of aircraft with that arrangement.If the attitude indicator could be made a bit larger than correct in relation to the other instruments, i.e. a slightly different scale, it would make instrument flying much easier. It would make the A/H more like the Concord. I really like the instrument in the concord. I flew one aircraft many years ago that had the little dot as the centre of the aircaft bar and it really helps in making pitch corrections as small as 1/2 degree or 1/2 bar width. It is just great for instrument flying.Brian.