Sign in to follow this  
Guest roland_lfor

Terrascene question

Guest chezz

I have an available DEM for the surrounding area of the airport I'm rendering in terrascene, can somebody tell me how to use the DEM so I can have an atleast accurate elevation of the area.chris_CA

Guest chezz

Thanks, but my question is how to use them, are therea detailed steps to use them with fly2.thenks.chris_ca

Guest Colins2

Chris,You don't say what 'flavour' DEM you have?Is it a USGS DEM?If so, then you can import it through TerraScene.If not, then it will have to be converted to be able to be read with the Fly!2 slicer.CheersColin

Guest danieletona

Hi Chris,Terrascene only succeeds in reading the files DEM USGS.To create the image can use the files SHP (vector area and vector line). You have to convert the file DEM.bil in DEM.demDan

Guest Colins2

Hi Chris,I took a look at the package and you can use some of it.The 'point' shapefiles are no use, TerraScene can't use them but all the line files will be fine.The DEM data can maybe used 'as-is' depending upon the format of the data. I can't d/l the package here at work to check.Can you send me the .hdr file if there is one and I'll hake a look.Colin

Guest chezz

Colin,Here's the .hdr filethanks for your help.chris

Guest danieletona

The file DEM.bil has a resolution of 900 meters (standard elevation in FLY!)It corresponds to the files type DTED (*.dt0) or GTOPO30 (*.dem).You use the files SRTM to have a best result.Dan

Guest Colins2

Hi Chris,Unfortunately, the file is in Intel format and can't be directly imported into Fly!The resolution is the same as the other free data, i.e. 30 arcsec.STRM data may be available for the Philipines in 3 arcsec which would be a lot more detailed. Failing that, they have released a new set of 30 arcsec data called SRTM30 which is an updated GTOPO dataset.The problem with all of these datasets is that they are in Intel format.Fly! requires the data in Motorola format. It's a simple transformation but I can't think of a stand-alone program that will do it.I'll see what I can come up with.CheersColin

Guest roland_lfor

Hi,I've made a small utility called "3DemBin2Ras that can convert the 16bits binary export format from 3DEM to the Fly! RAS format.It does the intel/mototrola conversion and also the mirror operations requested.it's a simple drag and drop operation.Originally made for merging SRTM in 3DEM and then convert to RAS.Available in the Avsim Lib.Hope this can help.Roland* ROTW member *

G'day Roland,Will your converter convert any srtm format or only 3 arc seconds srtm's. I've downloaded some srtm for sydney but I pretty sure they are NOT 3 arc seconds. I thought only America was 3 arc seconds.??Cheers,Roger

Guest roland_lfor

Hi Roger,It's done originaly for the world standard 90 m resolution.But you can use it also for the 30 m res (available I think only for US). Then, instead of filling the number of SRTM tiles merged horizontaly, fill directly the number of horizontal points, it should work.If someone need only the intel/motorola conversion without mirror operations required by the binary 3DEM export format, I can add this option.Anyway the 30m resolution will not take advantage inside Fly! regarding the 90m, because I think that the max res in Fly! is around 120m. (to be verified)cheers- roland -* ROTW member *