Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Terrain Mesh in Fly!

Guest Colins2

Hi All,There seems to be a lot of discussion lately regarding elevation meshes.I've been working on a program for a while now that should help :-)I guess this might be a good time to announce it.The program is called Fly!Mesh and will be available soon.There are still features that I want to add but it is quite usable now.Here's a link to a Word document about it if anyone is interested.In the document, which isn't very detailed, I mention other tutorials.The most useful one that I've found on terrain topics is by Nick Curcio.I had his permission some time back to put it on my site.Here's the link. [link:www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/colins2/tutorials/TrnTut.zip]Terrain TutorialIt's a great document and well worh the read.CheersColin

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Colin,for my "replaying" real-life flights with FLY! realistic elevations are very important. Therefore thank you very much in advance for a tool to improve the FLY! world and for the doc I'll download now.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Fly II Pilot

Colin,What a great explanation!It seems that right now the data is only visible through a 3rd party program, is that correct? Do you plan to add functionality to be able to could click on mesh points and change their altitude in a visual way? This would be very useful, especially for Andrew's Norway.I'd love to try your tool when I get back from vacation (in January).Thanks for such a great tool!!!Happy Holidays!http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Colins2

Alex,The editing function is visual and working.I don't have a 3D viewer, that's where the other programs come in to it.Building a 3D viewer is not high on my list of priorities right now:-)You can click on a point and edit the value, just as you would like.My next step, apart from SRTM functionality, is to add vector lines such as roads etc. to the display for more accurate editing.CheersColin

G'day Colin,This is great news! Although I know nothing about changing elevations, on reading some of the post here in the forum I went ahead and downloaded some of the Nasa srtm files for the Sydney area.I look forward to the release of Fly!Mesh (love the name :-) It's summer here in Australia and the flies can be quite annoying.)Thanks for all the hard work. Now Ill be able to improve the Sydney scenery I made with Terrashape/Terrascene.Have a great ChristmasCheers,Roger

Guest roland_lfor

Hi Colin,That's wonderfull news, a graphical editor is just what we miss for SRTM; All the import process is really simple, but we have this problem on tile 255-XXX (Fly! editor bug).It will be useful also for manual lake & coast region editing.Thanks to share.- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest roland_lfor

Unfortunatly, it won't support SRTM-3 as I can read ?The holes in SRTM are not a problem, free tools exist to correct datas holes. I hope you'll support them as they offer the most accurate free sources dem's and a real enhancement in Fly!, as you write for more than 80% of earth.cheers- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest Colins2

Hi Roland,When I started Fly!Mesh there was only the SRTM-3 data available in 1

Guest roland_lfor

Hi Colin,Perhaps I'm wrong with the 255:xxx or perhaps there is problem with both ? Near the 0

Guest Colins2

Hi Roland,The probems I had with 000:zzz tiles was that I got just 1 strip of ground tiles North to South down the Western edge of the tile and then a gap of 32 default testures. The sliced textures then continued at tile 32:0 and continued to the East edge. All the textures that should have been in there for 32 onwards were simply not written in the .trn files.It took a while to figure out what was happening and then some help from Rich decoding the texture filenames.I found that all the textures were present in the folder; it was just the .trn files that were written incorrectly.That's it, briefly. There's a more detailed explanation on my site on the Terrain-Fixer page My Hangar SiteThere wasn't much interest in the program but Hubert (hl on Simvol) used it quite a bit.There's more info on the site.CheersColin

Guest roland_lfor

Thanks Colin,As you know, the 0

Guest Colins2

Hi Roland,Terrain-Fixed does not touch the elevations, it writes them as found.I was never sure if they were correct or not.The default testures were OK, so I suspect the the elevations were as well.It was the sliced textures that were wrong just in the 0