Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Houghton Co. (KCMX) ILS Updated

I haven't been able to fly for some time, due to a difficult work schedule, but I finally got the chance and decided to download some of Wayne's new terrific airport add-ons to add to the experience. My word, Wayne, you have been prolific! :-)One of the first I downloaded was his scenery for Houghton County Memorial Airport in the far north of Michigan. The metar showed limited visibility, high winds, and snow flurries so I planned to shoot the ILS Rwy 31 approach. Guess what...the approach is missing from Fly!II! So, I made the approach and have just uploaded it to the Avsim library - it should be available soon. This should also allow you to shoot the LOC/DME Rwy 13 Back Course.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101018.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101019.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101020.jpg

Randall Rocke

You're quite welcome - sorry I haven't been able to do much for a while. I've actually got a list of about 70 DB updates waiting in the wings...maybe I can dig into some of them after Christmas.Tell Wayne that I'm also gathering a list of airports I wouldn't mind seeing with some scenery added - is your survey still active?

Randall Rocke

Guest Fly II Pilot

Randy,"sorry I haven't been able to do much for a while. I've actually got a list of about 70 DB updates waiting in the wings"Nothing to be sorry about, this is a hobby and we do what we can, when we can, how we can... "is your survey still active"Absolutely! Just go to the News section of F2Fdesign and you should find the link.Happy holidays!http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Randall,Very nice pics. What a great advertisement for Fly! The drop dead georgeous TBM 700 and the best clouds in the business with some very realistic scenery. An amazing amount add ons is still being produced by a very dedicated group of simmers. It augers well for the future of Fly! < guess what...the approach is missing from Fly! II ! >I have a problem with my ILS on runway 07 at Sydney. If I take off from Sydney (any runway) and fly around and then return to land on 07 I find that the ILS is at the far end ( 25) of the runway. If however I file a flight plan from Brisbane to Sydney and land on 07 the ILS is correctly positioned to land me at the near end of the runway.My Sydney airport radio frequencies window shows duplicate entries for 07 - 25 but I 'm hesitant to delete anything in case I delete the good one :-) Hope you get more time to enjoy your simming in the new year.Best wishes to you and your family for a very happy Christmas.Cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,It appears the problem you're experiencing at Sydney is the standard Fly!II issue with identical Localizer frequencies on opposing runways. There probably isn't a "good one" - the localizers literally interfere with one another. Here are the possibilities:1. The localizers behave properly if you don't switch to the frequency until you are on that side of the airport. In other words, if you are approaching from the 07 side to land on 07, go ahead and switch it on. If you are approaching from the opposite side, wait till you're well on the 07 side until switching the frequency as active. Same thing with 25 - to land on 25, don't make it active till you're on the 25 side. Whatever side you're on when you switch to that frequency, it locks on that localizer and won't release.2. One localizer is fairly accurate, but the other is knocked askew by the opposing approach. Sometimes the localizer transmitters can be slightly relocated (takes a lot of work) until both work acceptably. Regardless, always use the tuning principal I suggested in #1.3. Relocation doesn't work, therefore, one of the localizers frequencies has to be changed. I usually take the opposing approach to the most-used and add to its frequency by .05. I know this changes it from the real world, but sometimes it's better to have both functioning properly.I'll be happy to check out Sydney, if you'd like, while I'm on vacation. Vacation time will be brief, as I'm off to India to produce a documentary at the end of the first week of January. The last time I was there, I recovered each night with the help of plentiful supplies of Aussie beer. :-)

Randall Rocke