Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

FlyII view system - can it be improved?

Guest Chris13

Hi all,I am getting back to Fly2 more and more because of the steady stream of absolutely stunning freeware being published for it. Good job everyone!One thing has always bugged me, particularly for helicopter flying and that is the fixed view system. For general aviation and instrument flying in particular this is not a big disadvantage at all, but judging approaches, finding the hover button etc I find myself wishing for a more wide angle view, slightly looking down and ideally slewable. Even back when the original Fly was published it looked like an omission, but these days people are just accustomed to it. Without comparing to other sims, my question is: Is there a technical limitation within Fly2 that makes such a view impossible (the mouse view, I mean? The exterior models of the planes are 3D and cameras can be freely moved. Is the cockpit just a 2D bitmap or could a 3D model be used as well, just like in the outside view?I would love to hear the guru's take on this question.Chris13

Guest Steve Brown

Hi ChrisEach view is a different tiff file. But you never know a few of the guys out their may be able to do a smaller panel area. I know it puts me off on landings. Many of my ground crew have now lost bits and bobs :-lol SteveMy Websitehttp://www.wrexhamspace.orgF2FDesign Websitehttp://www.f2fdesign.com/ My Fileshttp://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View http://www.wrexhamspace.org/sig.jpg

G'day Chris, I'm not a guru but I'm pretty sure that VC's aren't possible with Fly! II which is what I think you are really asking. All internal views are 2d.However to help you you with your view problem with the helicopter;Fly! II enables you to save a custom view to F1 - F12, so if you have a particular view you need then save it ( I think it's SHIFT + FUNCTION key to save) and you can then access it instantly at the push of a key. I have the pan feature assigned to the hat switch. Once I'm below about 50 ft I select a fwd lower view (no instrument panel - who needs instruments at 50 ft :-) ) so I can judge the landing. Works well for me.!!I haven't tried it yet but I believe there is a file in the library ( forget the filename but I think the author is Laurent C ), that allows the user to set up a personalised camera. Check it out. It might be of help you. Field of view is altereable by changing the zoom ratio of a view. However the results take some getting used to. Also the higher the screen resolution the more info you get displayed.Have a fiddle with your setup Chris. I'm sure that you will find a compromise that will allow you to enjoy the F2FD Dauphin - now that's a helicopter. :-)Vc's in the future for Fly! II ???? - maybe, maybe not, I doubt it.In Fly! 3 - perhaps :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest Chris13

After posting my message I realized that I really asked two questions but you guys figured it out ok :)I figured that the internal views were 2d only (that's why they are so crisp, presumably.. doh), thanks for the clarification. I can probably find a setting that will alleviate my hover problems, the view-related ones at least. Thanks for reminding me of the user-defined cameras, I had indeed not tried that. Until I quit simming temporarily a while ago, Fly2 never ran well on my computer, but with the tweaks suggested here and at the simvol site (thanks for the translation!) it does now on my current computer. So don't be shy suggesting things that you'd think might be too obvious, I am really in a beginner's state.Fly3, now that would be something, but I don't see that happening any time soon unfortunately. OTOH, who would have thought that towards the end of 2004 Fly2 would still have such a productive (albeit small) following? And I continue to be amazed at the quality of the contributions. I did not have time to download and test them in the last years because of real life issues but I have lurked this forum all the time and marveled. Fly2 contributors seem to be reduced to the tail of excellence, there is no majority of so-so quality addons that I can see elsewhere. Now that I can see a silver lining on the horizon time-wise I am looking forward to play around with all that has been added to the library in the meantime. This is the state Fly2 should have been released in in the first place. Chris13

G'day Chris,Im the supreme optimist! :-) Just today I browsed through "electronic Boutique" ( games shop) and saw IL-2, Flight unlimited and another flight sim who name escapes me at the moment,all in the Red Ant series for $9.95 Aus. BUT no Fly! sims. This I take as an encouraging sign as it means that the copyright holder is still weighing up the options. I really would not be surprised to see Fly! II re-released fully updated with a couple of new aircraft ( maybe even a heavy ) and also included some of the great freeware "tools" we have at our disposal. It's all a matter of dollars and cents. The "work" has already been done. It's really just a matter of collation.In the meantime just continue to enjoy the sim and encourage all the great bunch of freeware developers we have. The absence of Payware is a blessing in disguise as without it people realise the necessity of freeware to keep Fly! alive. Adversity brings out the best in human spirit.The overabundance of payware for the other sim could very well wind up being it's archilles heel. Only time will tell.Fly! 3 may never happen - I live in hope. Even if it doesn't Fly! II will still be the same sim in 15 years time that it is today and that'll do me.Cheers,Roger

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!There is a file in the aircraft NOT patches category that adjusts the views in the 407 and other aircraft. The author claims easier landings and better judgement of attitude. The address is: im_fly2seat_fixes.zipI haven't had a chance to try it cuz the computer I fly on is not wired. Hope the ROTW DVD includes stuff like this.

The file that Laurent C did is called intcam_f2 and there is one specifically for the PA28, he also mentions that it will work in the Bell. You can find it in the dll library section of the fly.simvol site.Have fun :)Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888