Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

Styria North East

G'day Harald, Very nice elevations and scenery. I'm not the brightest light on the Christmas tree :-) (been imbibing too much of the Christmas spirit :-lol ) , Just exactly where is Styria???Thanks for uploading.Cheers,Roger

Roger,Was your Sydney localizer situation a matter of tuning when in proper orientation to that side of the field or are the problems more severe?

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Good question, Roger. I had to look up Styria and my world map locater told me to see Stelermark. Then I found out it is in Austria.Have a great New Year everyone.

G'day Randall,Nope it's not just simply an orientation problem. In the pic attached I took off from runway 34 turned left to downwind turned left to base ( then switched on and tuned radio ) turned left to final and then took the pic as I flew the ils manually.As you can see I should just about be touching down but the glideslope is guiding me to the far end of the runway.You can also see that I have duplicate entries for runway frequencies in the database. This probably occurred when I used dex import and some data from Danny Vickers to correct problems with the default database.The really weird thing is that Fly! is selective as to which of the duplicate entries it uses?? If I file a flight plan from Brisbane to Sydney then everything works 100% correct but if I just take off from Sydney then the results are as shown in the pic. I haven't really done much trouble shooting with various combinations of possibilities as most of my flying is by flight plan.As far as I can see it is a matter of duplicate entries in the database, but which is the correct, and how to delete the bad entry?Also the VASI lights seem to be following the same pattern as the ILS transmitter. The VASI lights in the pic are also at the wrong end of the runway guiding me to the far end of the runway.Cheers, Roger

Indeed...Well, this is not a matter of recipricol/matched frequency approaches, but a true DB error. Now I know when you say duplicate intries - you mean true duplicate entries! :-lol This was apparently caused by an error in the DB update which changed the location of the ILS. In order for the VASI to also be wrong, you may have duplicate entries for the runway. The VASI and other runway lighting are in the runway DB. Danny may have made changes to the runway and ILS info, but didn't use the original Unique IDs - therefore, instead of the old data being overwritten, the new data was added (duplicated).I can fix this for you (create a DEX file that will remove the inappropriate entries), but I would need your ILS.DBD and RUNWAY.DBD files to do this, as my DB wouldn't include Danny's changes. TheILS.DBD is probably around 952K in size, with the RUNWAY.DBD running around 3.7 MB, so unless you have broadband, this may not be feasible for you.Questions:1. Did the Sydney runways/ILS require fixing or was it OK to begin with? If they were OK, then maybe the data that's in my DB is still correct. The problem is, the new data would not be present in mine.2. Do you know how to use Vol!edit to extract just the runway(s) and ILS(s) data records? Could you export all the ILS enties and all the runway entries for Rwy 07 and send them via email in a DEX? With that I could quickly create new DEXs which would remove the errant entries.If you're not sure how to do this, I can send you a 1,2,3 on how to locate those specific entries, export them, and send them to me. I believe you have my email, but if not: capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,This is one of the major hurdles I have to distributing my Sydney scenery! I don't know exactly what I've done to my databases :-)From memory I believe the default runways and ils/vasi were all in unison; BUT the runways were not correctly located. Danny repositioned the runway and that meant of course the ils/vasi also had to be repositioned. Somehow in the process I've wound up with duplicate entries in the databases.I've never used Voledit before. Always just relied on podview and the Fly! II editor for all my pod work. I know nothing of database entries. :-)Thanks for the offer to help, I'll continue via email>Cheers,Roger

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Harald,I just had some wonderful FLY!ing hours exploring your scenery. Thank you so much! Your work is a European golden standard for VFR flights (for rotor heads like me) and it beats all low resolution satellite scenery I am working with. Wonderful results from your shape tools!Not the last time I enjoy your work!Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr und Gesundheit, Zufriedenheit und Gl