Sign in to follow this  
Guest Azzurro

ILS Fix for LGAV PMDG Greek Airport Uploaded (pics)

I have just uploaded a multiple ILS repair for the PMDG airport Eleftherios Venizelos, Athens, Greece (LGAV).The update covers the following approaches: ILS/DME Rwy 03L, ILS/DME Rwy 21R, ILS/DME Rwy 03R, & ILS/DME Rwy 21L. This update resolves the interference problem for the 03L & 21R localizers, adds the new 03R localizer, and corrects the DME placement for all 4 approaches. YOU MUST BE A LICENSED OWNER of the PMDG GREEK AIRPORTS PACKAGE TO USE THIS UPDATE, as LGAV is not a part of the default Fly!II database. This is an unauthorized fix and is not supported in any way by PMDG.

This fix was produced back in 2002 and I was in conversation with PMDG as to whether it would be included in a future package or possibly offered as a download. As many of you know, PMDG eventually moved to production for MSFS products and left the Fly! world. They also stopped offering previous products for Fly! and ended all support for them. You might say that I figured the "statute of limitations" had expired. :-) For those of you that have their wonderful Greek airports package, I certainly recommend this fix. As with all DB changes, be sure to back up the ILS.POD first - this was such a difficult adjustment, that I'm not sure how it will respond to different installations.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101967.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101968.jpg

Randall Rocke

You're welcome! Yep - it's just too bad the way things went with both PMDG and Real Air. We can always hope that somewhere down the line TRI will release Fly! again with all of the fixes we now use.A note on these approaches: 03L & 21R have the infamous matched frequencies on recipricol approaches that Fly! has always had trouble with. I stumbled on a setting that allows the opposing approaches to use the identical frequencies they have in the real world, yet both function appropriately. It's necessary to not tune the localizer until you are on the appropriate side of the field for that approach - when you are, go ahead and tune in - the nav system will lock in on the appropriate localizer.The other approaches use separate frequencies and do not require any special procedures.

Randall Rocke

Guest Azzurro

Hi Randall,Thank you very much for your work, I know that modifying the ILS is not so easy, and it will be very useful to us.Nevertheless, I think there will be a problem of compatibility beetween your datas and the datas provided by the DAFIF's, that we are numerous to use.The problem is with the "unique key", your coding is different from the coding of Dafif's, so when applying your dex, the datas will not be replaced, but added.I am sure this will generate conflicts, so if you give me an e-mail address, I will send you a dex for LGAV with the Dafif coding system (it's a tiny file). I think it wan't be long for you to move your datas to an absolute compatibility.My e-mail is "azzurro(at)simvol(dot)org"Cheers and best wishes for a happy new year to everybody here :-cool

Azzuro,Thanks for checking in on this. First of all, anyone who downloaded and installed the Greek Airports package from PMDG received special unique IDs as part of the install. Remember, this airport is not part of the regular Fly!II DB, but an add-on from PMDG. Since the airport didn't exist, neither did the navaids or ILS approaches. PMDG added them to the package as an automatic install and created their own unique IDs for them. If anyone who owns this package also added a DAFIF update, they're already in trouble. :-)I'll be happy to make a special package to allow owners who have also installed a DAFIF update to resolve these issues. Here is what I see as the options:1. Owners of the package who have not installed DAFIF can use the update I've already uploaded, as it matches PMDG's IDs.2. Owners who have installed DAFIF are already in trouble with two sets of IDs, so I will need to make a special version for them that: a. Removes the PMDG set b. Updates the approaches, but with IDs that match the DAFIF systemAn e-mail address is on the way.

Randall Rocke

Guest Azzurro

Hello Randy,Thanks for this explanation.Effectively, when Didier decided to periodically distribute his pods based on dafif cycles, those of us who owned the excellent Greek Airports had to correct the PMDG coding, with Didier's help.We thought that the best solution was to replace this coding by the Dafif coding, which is internationaly understood.The elements are in your mailbox.Thanks for your work. :-wave