Sign in to follow this  
Guest KYC

Just an opinion poll

Hi folks,As we all know , there are several new planes in the pipeline.I am not allowed to make confidential things public , so I won`t.BUT there is one question wich I would like the have made clear.I present it to you as a strick personal initiative.Let me explain:Making a new 3D model is a huge job but there are several talents able to do such.Making panels is even more complicated.Question:What do you think about publishing a 3D model without a panel?This needs more explanation.Lets say we have an airplane wich is ready , painted and all , the panel is not yet been made and can take many months to accomplish.The kind of aircraft in this example should have a panel wich is almost the same ( at least very alike ) as a panel wich is already been published and probably present in all FLYII! installations.In other words what do we think about publication of such a modelaccompanied with instruction ( or ready made NFO file to place in the World folder) to link to the available panel.When ( or is it IF ) the final original panel is ready , just throw away the temp. solution , but have a lot of fun in the mean-time.Example , we could use Giorgios superbe Eurofighter- panel in several other European fighters.This a little-bit Fs9 kind of thinking and one of the major featureswhich give Fs9 it`s huge populairity.So, WHAT DO YOU THINK?Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Leen,nothing against it but much applause for the proposal.The profit will be on both sides - for the designer AND for the public.FLY! AC design takes a long time, sometimes too long ??? - this might be the reason why several people did give up although they showed pictures of nice 3D-models ???To get positive feedback (and already positiv critism) might be a stimulus for the designers. And which FLY!er would mind to get a new "toy" to sim with.And one other thing to add: I could think of getting in that technical background especially of a BK117 or BO105 (general technic, instruments, flight model) if somebody did the 3D work as I have not the time to learn 3 D modelling. There might be some other (unknown) people who think the same way - so why not create 3 D aircraft models with a generic panel and offer it to other people for improvement?This could help to get some more interesting FLY ac!And what about that mysterious "panel creating" program which exists in a BETA state? Is it possible that the programmer gives it to us even if it works only partially?Thank you very much for initiating this discussion!Georg HeliFLYer EDDW

G'day Leen,What you suggest will bring more people into the development of add-on aircraft. I would like to see another couple of groups set up (with a min. of 3 people per group) to develop add-on aircraft. My only concern with what you suggest is that 3D aircraft models would be developed with the exclusion of panels and that panel making skills would disappear.If anyones interested in forming another group then I'd be willing to participate.Cheers,Roger

Guest Jan

Hi Leen.I both agree and disagree.The strenght of FlyII is it's panels and systems.And that is why we still continue with this sim.Releasing 3D models without correct panels and system is too close to a consept used by another sim,where a lot of nice 3D models are released, almost daily,without a proper panel.And that's nice if you prefer to see the aircraft from the outside when flying.For me that is just a half product,without much interest in the long run.For me it would be better to release cockpits with correct panels,and a default or wrong 3D model.But on the other hand,with less people using Fly in these days,everything developed is of importance.As long as there is a certain flow of products released, people will stay,or even new people will discover this great sim.The problem is,as stated above,the complexity,and development time.Your solution may help on that,but I'm not sure if this is what people want.Then they can just as well stay with the other sim.What makes FlyII so special is gone.But everything is worth a try these days :)Thanks for bringing it up Leen.Take care.Janhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Guest Steve Brown

In a way you hit the nail on the head Jan.I think we have to do what we must, to keep the sim alive. But what makes Fly Special? Richard did it for me. His personal love and interest for this wonderful simulator rubbed off on me. F2FDesign and ROTW and those few in the Fly2 community working to keep our Hobby alive are the jewel of this simulator. To be honest, thats good enough for me, why? Because everything that comes out is special, and we appreciate it when we see new Aircraft, models and scenery. If we had new Aircraft everyday, it would be nice, but thats it. I download FS9 planes every day, but because they are so plentiful, I sadly just take it in my stride. We are a minority in comparison, but jewels are ;-) Personally I dont think my little grey cells will allow me to make my own Aircraft, I feel I have gone as far as I can. "BUT" If I could model a plane for use with a default Panel, I might just give it a go... I hate to bring this up, but we have a jewel very few have tried... "The Seawind"! Personally I would love to see this wonderful plane Finally introduced into Fly2. I know its far from finished in dynamics and some other work needs doing. But we hoped for this last year! Were is it? I want it and want it now :-lol Honestly, I think, if a panel can be brought out later, what the heck, introduce it to the community, after all, thats who its for...My honest, but drunken thoughts, induced by Stella... Sorry if I offended, in anyway. My Websitehttp://www.wrexhamspace.orgF2FDesign Websitehttp://www.f2fdesign.com/ My Fileshttp://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View http://www.wrexhamspace.org/sig.jpg

Guest tonyc

Hi Leen. As someone who has spent a good deal of time designing an aircraft, I can say that if anyone were to ask me to give them my 3d model or anything else, I'd be delighted.( Leen, are you ready to start painting the Electra?)My fear is that my skills in everything are not good, but the pleasure of discovery and success has kept me going. Building original panels is difficult, especially when one needs to learn the 3d program as well as FLY specific requirements. That said, I will be releasing the Electra as an ALpha because of the little things that need improving. Somethings I don't know how to improve; somethings will be controversial( a non scrolling cockpit ala msfs); and somethings that I simply did not get to complete. It would make me very happy to see some of you pick up the pieces and improve it. I have begun another model. This is a conversion of the emb120 alpha for FLY!. This plane has an original panel so I thought that I could bring it to fly2. But if anyone wants to help, they should not be shy. Leen and others have been instrumental for getting me to where I am. We need more of this.Tony

>>>>>>( Leen, are you ready to start painting the Electra?)I am always ready to paint:-lol Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hello Leen and all,My vote is do it. I love to fly new planes in FLYII. Of course my selfishness would like to have a new panel with each realease but I would love a new plane even without the new panel. I would like to support the designers in any way I can. I enjoy doing beta test work as long as I can take my time. I trully appreciate the talents and dedication of the designers. We don't give them enough praise for a job well done. I know it takes a lot of time to dwesign these planes in FLYII.God bless each onbe and please keep em coming!Thanks to all you who work so hard to keep FLY!ing!Earl

Guest laurentC

Hi Gent,Leen's proposition is really a good idea, even thought it's far from the quality concept we cherished in the past years and made us proud to Fly!The actual problem is how to feel yet alive ? Leen response is : let many people share their work, even unfinished, and don't blame them if the panel (or other things) comes from another plane ...The first rule could be a real description of the release : which features are completed and which features are left to be done (by the author or anybody with talents), and the second rule could be that any improvement is implicitly granted from his original author.This was only my 2cents ...Best regards to all of you;laurentC

Guest Eagle

I hope this will not turn into mass production of aircraft as the other sim has. The quality of the aircraft for Fly is one of the things that sets it apart from other sims. My favorite aircraft are the Hawker and Seneca. They both have their own panels and that is what makes it so interesting to FLY.There appears to be little interest in airport sceneries as evidenced by the downloads count. My guess is that most of the FLYers are creating scenery for the particular area they are FLYing in. Also, based on the current survey, there is little interest in airport scenery. This is not to be taken as a complaint, just an observation. I have wanted to create panels, that are aircraft specific, for some time. The Panel Maker program is a great tool and creating panels is a major undertaking, as is everything for FLY aircraft.Please don

Guest tonyc

Wayne,I don't think we need to worry about a wave of generic panels for our aircrafts. There are, however, a number of beautiful 3d models that could use "their own" panels to add a bit of "simulated realism". I've always enjoyed flying the emb-145, but the hawker panel was a bit of a distraction. Since I like the "crowded" cockpit feel, with center post and upper window lining, many of my airplanes have "mods" that suit my taste. It's a tough call, but making a plane from scratch takes a good year( part time and as a novice). As for the airports, don't stop. Too bad that the they have "data" files, since all my development work requires the data folder. This has pushed me to not add anymore airports routinely unless I decide on a specific airport. tony

Guest Eagle

Good afternoon Tony:The taxiways have to go into the data folder and at times I will combine a bunch of taxiways into a POD. I could place each taxiway into a separate POD and upload that instead of the three data files. This would require deletion of a bunch of POD's when I combine the taxiways.Whatever the FLYers want I will do. Just need to hear from you.

I'm with you on this Leen. The hope would be that the enthusiasm for the aircraft will stimulate a desire to also finish the panel or even call some of the other Fly talents together to help finish the project. I would love to see all the work PMDG put into the Socata TB9 come to something we get to enjoy, Eddie Souter's Cessna 152 also disappeared off the radar scope. If I can ever finish the Falcon XP I will try to port the FSDS modeling over to FlyII and would gladly share the work with anyone that knows how to do it.Regards,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888