Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Loooong time no Post... A few questions from an former user...

Guest jcomm

It's been a very long time since I last used Fly2! Meanwhile I have been busy mainly with MSFS and X-Plane, but also ELITE.Among the various flightsims I have used there is **ONLY** one where pspecial attention is payed to the accuracy of instruments readings. A good example is the turn coordinator with standard rate turn marks, either bar-style or little airplane style (like in the B200 and in the C172).This very basic instrument, part od the sacred six, should be used to check not only turn coordination but also to help the pilot perform standard rate turns (3 degrees per second, or, a complete turn in two minutes).When one uses the turn coordinators with 2' turn markings in MSFS all we get is a very rough aproximation of a standard rate turn, ending in considerably more or less 10', sometimes more!I wonder if, using a real clock, one measures 2' when performing a standard rate turn in Fly2!Any comments appreciated!!!

G'day J.C.,>I wonder if, using a real clock, one measures 2' when>performing a standard rate turn in Fly2!>>Any comments appreciated!!!I jumped in the Cessna and did a quick flight. Held the aircraft in a turn with the pointer on the marker and started timing. There were only occasional, slight, deviations of the pointer during the turn, due to my lack of piloting skills, not the sims fault.2 minutes and 4 secs to do 360 degrees. (timed by a Rolex) Is that close enough for you.I haven't tried any other sim.Is this what you wanted to know? :-) Cheers,Roger

Guest jcomm

Yep Roger!This is why I kept Fly2! for so long in my disk, but a bunch of display and CTD problems drove me to install it.I have a new machine, and am sure that for the pourpose of IFR training Fly2! does such a good job as ELITE, so, I'll have to find the old disks and reinstall it :-)Thank you for spending the time to make my test!!!

Guest jcomm

BTW: A few more questions...1) Has anyone developed a weather add-on making turbulence more realistic in Fly2!?2) Any advances in helo modelling for Fly2! ?3) Autopilot and Flight Director - has anyone been able to make it work better/smoother? Are there any add-on "units" independent of the core code for these systems?There are definitely too many reasons for me to reconsider this sim again. Many details even at the FM level that make it unique among all products I have used so far.One of the features I found amazingly well replicated in the sim is the drag from cowl flaps. This is a factor in terms of performance for most of the older GA singles/twins, and I never found another sim (not even ELITE!!!) modelling it.The main reason why I gave up on Fly2! after having extensively used Fly! was the fact that it ended as a commercial product - no money no party ;-) I am wrong, as this great community of users and freeware developers proves.I will have to find a copy here in Portugal - a little bit difficult! I just gave up on trying to find my old disks... When I have it I will browse this forum trying to find exactly what to do to turn it up-to-date patchwise...Then I'll download and install add-on scenerery and aircraft (ROTW mainly...).

G'day J.C,Glad to be of help :-)>BTW: A few more questions...>>1) Has anyone developed a weather add-on making turbulence>more realistic in Fly2!?Not being a pilot and not wanting to start any Flame wars, my only comment is that I have yet to see ANY sim that gives the impression of tubulence that I gained as a passenger in a Queen Air out of Rockhamptom. It was as if the aircraft was being belted with a giant sledge hammer up, down, left, right in a random pattern. The pilot just let go of the controls and let the aircraft fly as trimmed. >2) Any advances in helo modelling for Fly2! ?In your absence you have missed the best Helicopter I have seen in a sim. I refer to the AS 365 Dauphin by the F2FDesign group. I'm not particularly a helicopter enthusiast but this aircraft simply blows the mind. An absolute must for all Fly! II simmers.>3) Autopilot and Flight Director - has anyone been able to>make it work better/smoother? Are there any add-on "units">independent of the core code for these systems?>I think you will be very pleased with the operation of the Auto pilot and Flight director. Fly! II has been extensively patched since release and I have no problems with either.>There are definitely too many reasons for me to reconsider>this sim again. Many details even at the FM level that make it>unique among all products I have used so far.The very same reasons why I have remained using Fly! II and having a ball :-)>The main reason why I gave up on Fly2! after having>extensively used Fly! was the fact that it ended as a>commercial product - no money no party ;-) I am wrong, as this>great community of users and freeware developers proves.I've always wanted my dream car - a soft top E type Jaguar.It's no longer a commercial product but that doesn't make it any less desireable in my eyes.>When I have it I will browse this forum trying to find exactly>what to do to turn it up-to-date patchwise...Read the anchored post "First time Fly!ers - readme" to get all the info re patching Fly! II>Then I'll download and install add-on scenerery and aircraft>(ROTW mainly...). Don't limit your choices. There are excellent add-ons from other groups F2FD and many individuals.Best of luck in procuring a new copy of FLy! II in Portugal. They are like hens teeth here in Australia.Cheers,Roger